Sanctions From ACL Flare Incident

The Western Sydney Wanderers & FFA have announced a range of sanctions as a result of flare usage during the Wanderers Asian Champions League match against Ulsan Hyundai.

The club released a statement to members in regards to the incident. The club, FFA, Parramatta Stadium & NSW Police will be conducting a detailed investigation and will look to see those responsible charged by the Police as well as banned via the usual FFA banning order process.

Sanctions from the club include banning of flags, fence banners and items directly connected to three supporter groups who occupied the areas where the flares went off. The club also confirmed a $5000 US Dollar fine for every flare at an ACL match.

Privately club officials had stated there is a risk of further sanctions by the AFC that included closed door matches in the event more flares go off, but the club statement did not include any details of that potential punishment.

The RBB has yet to respond publicly to the accusations and sanctions imposed by the club and FFA.

Click here to view the article

WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS MEMBERS UPDATE

WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS MEMBER UPDATE

28 February 2014

Dear Luke,

As a direct result of the anti-social behaviour and ignition of flares at the Western Sydney Wanderers vs Ulsan Hyundai match on Wednesday 26 February within the Northern Terrace the Western Sydney Wanderers, Pirtek Stadium, Football Federation Australia and Police are conducting a detailed formal investigation and review of all available evidence ahead of initiating a series of charges and legal and venue related sanctions.

The investigation will aim to identify the perpetrators and ensure that the maximum possible sanctions (Criminal and Civil) are invoked with a view to the eradication of this anti-social behaviour from our game and the subsequent upholding of community standards to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for all who attend matches at Pirtek Stadium.

Effective immediately will be the banning of flags, fence banners and concession items that are directly connected to the three supporter groups who occupied the area in which the disturbances of Wednesday night emanated.

The potential for this step to be implemented was outlined to Red and Black Bloc representatives prior to the season commencing via a Memorandum of Understanding and also a pre-season members forum.

The ban on items relating to these supporter groups within the Red and Black Bloc will be indefinite until the police, FFA and internal investigations have concluded, the perpetrators identified and appropriate measures taken including all available legal penalties in addition to FFA ban’s of up to five years from all football matches in Australia.

Anyone with information that can assist the current investigation process is encouraged to contact the club or FFA directly as it has become very clear that the majority of our 17,000 members also hold a zero tolerance for this sort of behaviour in venue and the damage that it can do to our club and all associated with it.

Asian Football Confederation regulations stipulate that there is a $5000 USD fine for every flare that is discharged at an ACL match. This information had been communicated to Red and Black Bloc representatives late 2013. In addition it is a criminal offence to discharge a flare within a normal Hyundai A-League fixture. The majority of members who continue to support our club with the wonderful pride, passion and exemplary behaviour they do should be aware that detailed discussions have occurred with Police since Wednesday night and an absolute zero tolerance will now be enforced even more strongly than it has been in the past until this element is removed from our game.

If you would like to receive a copy of the Memorandum of Understanding or have specific questions in relation to active supporter operations within the club members are welcome to email active@wswanderersfc.com.au where a club representative will respond appropriately.

For reference “concession items†are items that are not allowed into the venue without prior approval and consent from the venue. This approval is requested from the venue by the Western Sydney Wanderers on behalf of the requesting members and includes all oversized flags, fence banners, musical instruments, megaphones or loudhailers, TIFO’s, Capo’s stands and confetti.

END

reference “concession items†are items that are not allowed into the venue without prior approval and consent from the venue. This approval is requested from the venue by the Western Sydney Wanderers on behalf of the requesting members and includes all oversized flags, fence banners, musical instruments, megaphones or loudhailers, TIFO’s, Capo’s stands and confetti.

Well that just sucks :(

It doesn't matter whether you are for or against flares, whether you think they are good for atmosphere or not and/or you think that the core RBB had anything to do with it or not.

This **** needs to be cleared up asap, hopefully culprits caught via CCTV so the RBB can get back to supporting WSW!

And still no one knows who threw the flares? From my viewpoint pyro looks amazing, but obviously won't get us anywhere. It's a shame that all have to suffer for the actions of a handful of people. The earlier this season finishes the better cos I really don't know what's gonna hit us if people misbehave again!

well this is ****ed, i knew it was going to happen

thank you to those who ripped the flares i hope it was worth it *****

also a protest would look ******* stupid

And they weren't even smart about it.

They could have waited until Ulsan were keeping up that end. Did you see how much smoke Ante was looking through when they scored?

well this is ****ed, i knew it was going to happen

thank you to those who ripped the flares i hope it was worth it *****

also a protest would look ******* stupid

And they weren't even smart about it.

They could have waited until Ulsan were keeping up that end. Did you see how much smoke Ante was looking through when they scored?

it was odd timing i expected it after we scored but i guess they were not quite in the ground by then

i get it flares impress people who sniff glue but these sanctions are going to make it much harder for us to support the wanderers, and considering how much the flares cost the club i really dont blame them

Just be good and you will get them back.

You're joking, aren't you!

The email clearly says:

"The ban … will be indefinite until the police, FFA and internal investigations have concluded, the perpetrators identified and appropriate measures taken including all available legal penalties in addition to FFA ban’s of up to five years from all football matches in Australia."

So there's no use talking about other clubs' flares, or what they do in Europe. This is us! We've had plenty of warning.

Let me repeat (what I said in the other thread). If we want all these things back, then the guys who did it have to become known to the FFA etc.

If they were decent guys they would turn themselves in today!

instead of turning on each other, why don't you wonder:

1. in the last couple of weeks Sydney fc, Newcastle, Adelaide and Melbourne victory have all had flares, why wernt they punished.

2. oh so it was an AFC game that's why we are being punished, well Melbourne victory let theirs off at an afc game also, what did they get? nothing.

whether you think flares are cool or not doesn't matter, we are being singled out against every other club when they do the same action.

Have these sanctions also been applied to the other A-League teams where flares have been let off? At least one flare went off in Victory's ACL qualifier and others have been let off at other A-League grounds in recent weeks.

This.

Adelaide lights flare (have done so before) - "meh"

East Sydney lights flare (have done so before) - "oh well"

Heart lights flare (have done so before) - "Well that was stupid and the individuals deserve bans because it was total fire ban"

Perth lights flare (unsure on previous incidents) - "okay"

WSW lights flares - "OMG YOU GUISE WE COULD HAVE DIED!!!!111!!! THIS IS THE END OF FOOTBALL IN THIS COUNTRY!!!11!!! YOU BROUGHT THE GAME INTO DISREPUTE!!!111!!! YOU'RE THE ONLY SUPPORTERS DOING THIS!!!111!!!!" 

EVERYTHING HERE NOW BANNED!

• all oversized flags
  • fence banners
  • musical instruments
  • megaphones or loudhailers
  • TIFO’s
  • Capo’s stands
  • confetti.

FMD it will just be clapping or silence..

NRL gameday atmosphere here we come...

All thanks to those idiots responsible.

CALM DOWN EVERYBODY THIS BAN DOES NOT AFFECT OUT ACTIVE EXPERIENCE JUST RELAX ONE BIT IM ON THE CASE :) give me 5 minutes !

Have these sanctions also been applied to the other A-League teams where flares have been let off? At least one flare went off in Victory's ACL qualifier and others have been let off at other A-League grounds in recent weeks.

This.

Adelaide lights flare (have done so before) - "meh"

East Sydney lights flare (have done so before) - "oh well"

Heart lights flare (have done so before) - "Well that was stupid and the individuals deserve bans because it was total fire ban"

Perth lights flare (unsure on previous incidents) - "okay"

WSW lights flares - "OMG YOU GUISE WE COULD HAVE DIED!!!!111!!! THIS IS THE END OF FOOTBALL IN THIS COUNTRY!!!11!!! YOU BROUGHT THE GAME INTO DISREPUTE!!!111!!! YOU'RE THE ONLY SUPPORTERS DOING THIS!!!111!!!!" 

I thought this was just a tiny issue?