UEFA EURO 2024

51 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

And the jocks are back in again for @Edinburgh ‘s interest.

Scotland did well for some time and looked like they would qualify early.  Then they struggled to get results.  They still got there after an overall convincing campaign.   But the poor results have continued in subsequent friendlies. 

After early confidence and hope, I'm now resigned to another Scotland tournament flop.

Yea France are my pick to win. The squad they have had for the last 8 years just reminds of me Brazil at their peak back in the 90s and early 2000s there is just so much depth without the Joga bonito. 

England is another and its the Bellingham and Kane factor makes me feel they can still make another run at it. 

Croatia is another one no one wants to face in knock out football. Mentality monsters.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Yea France are my pick to win. The squad they have had for the last 8 years just reminds of me Brazil at their peak back in the 90s and early 2000s there is just so much depth without the Joga bonito. 

England is another and its the Bellingham and Kane factor makes me feel they can still make another run at it. 

Croatia is another one no one wants to face in knock out football. Mentality monsters.

England just can't beat the big teams when it matters at the business end. Record against the best teams is poor. Will put away the lesser teams but no confidence they can win the BIG knock out games against the top sides.

plus England’s defense is well dodgy.

Edited by Smoggy
23 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

England just can't beat the big teams when it matters at the business end. Record against the best teams is poor. Will put away the lesser teams but no confidence they can win the BIG knock out games against the top sides.

plus England’s defense is well dodgy.

The defense is the problem. Stones is good at CB but it looks like he'll be paired with Maguire, who has actually been playing really well lately but picked up another injury so won't play much going into the tournament. I doubt Shaw is making the squad, even if he gets over his injury by the end of the club season. Trippier and Walker should be fine as fullbacks but not heaps of depth there. Shame Ben White has withdrawn from England selection. Pickford has been good for Everton but I've never been completely convinced with him for England. I guess there aren't too many other options. Ramsdale is behind Raya at Arsenal and Pope has been injured. Henderson has been pretty good for Palace.

Further forward Rice, Bellingham, Maddison, Foden, Kane, Saka, Watkins, Grealish, Palmer is up there with pretty much any other side at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, pseudonym said:

Video announcing England's squad for the EURO

Just wished they'd roll back the expectations. They might actually achieve something then

18 hours ago, pseudonym said:

Video announcing England's squad for the EURO

That is some super cool advertising. Frickin brilliant

On 07/06/2024 at 11:31 PM, braad said:

Just wished they'd roll back the expectations. They might actually achieve something then

Not with that waistcoat wearing biff managing them they won't 

Taking Dunk over branthwaite is like turning down a date with Jodie Comer because you are going for a kebab with Sonja from EastEnders 

Posted (edited)
On 09/06/2024 at 11:28 AM, StringerBellend said:

Not with that waistcoat wearing biff managing them they won't 

Taking Dunk over branthwaite is like turning down a date with Jodie Comer because you are going for a kebab with Sonja from EastEnders 

Yeah, i don't have confidence in Southgate either....not when it comes to those big knock out games against the top sides.

Can see a QF or SF knock out for England...

Anyway..nearly ready for the late nights and early mornings...

The Jocks get us underway against the ze Germans Sat morning. If you are going to play a host nation like Germany, first up might not be a bad thing...

Edited by Smoggy

Even if they aren’t at their best they should still top the group and win the R16 game against one of the third place teams.

Their first big test is the quarter final, as they play the runner up of either Group A or Group B. Spain and Italy are both in Group B so England will likely play whoever finishes second out of those two.

If they all perform England have a squad that can win it. If not they aren’t getting past Spain/Italy.

Lmao am I the only one that thinks England can win because of Southgate? Before Southgate England had never gotten close to finals. Not saying they will win (Croatia will give Modric his crown) but I am not sure anyone else could do a better job with England.

43 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Lmao am I the only one that thinks England can win because of Southgate? Before Southgate England had never gotten close to finals. Not saying they will win (Croatia will give Modric his crown) but I am not sure anyone else could do a better job with England.

Yes, yes you are 

On 12/6/2024 at 9:06 AM, Sithslayer1991 said:

It’s sorta hard to tell, as England have had a truly quality squad the past two decades (actually more, but I cbf counting). Problem has always been getting them to synchronise as a team instead of individuals. If Gareth can get them to do that then you’re right. 

Also, the tabloids are ruthless, I’d hate to be anywhere near those vultures. That’s a lot of pressure 

2 hours ago, braad said:

It’s sorta hard to tell, as England have had a truly quality squad the past two decades (actually more, but I cbf counting). Problem has always been getting them to synchronise as a team instead of individuals. If Gareth can get them to do that then you’re right. 

Also, the tabloids are ruthless, I’d hate to be anywhere near those vultures. That’s a lot of pressure 

They say that every major tournament that England has its best quality squad 

They will go out in the knockouts to the first half decent team they face and I for one will be laughing at the waistcoat wearing bellend in charge and the "werlds best right back" who can't actually defend and therefore is shoehorned into the midfield 

I hope they get twatted in the group stages 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

They say that every major tournament that England has its best quality squad 

They will go out in the knockouts to the first half decent team they face and I for one will be laughing at the waistcoat wearing bellend in charge and the "werlds best right back" who can't actually defend and therefore is shoehorned into the midfield 

I hope they get twatted in the group stages 

ridiculous innit, England keep thinking a team of champions > champion team

2 hours ago, braad said:

ridiculous innit, England keep thinking a team of champions > champion team

and that and mistaking people English players that play in teams with lots of great overseas players and being great players themselves