Squad Development 2024/25

Thread for Squad Development for the 2024/25 A-League Season

Previous Thread: 2023/24

Players Loaned Out
Oliver Bozanic (Perth, contract expired)

Expiring Currently
Anthony Pantazopolous (Youth)
Dylan Scicluna
Jack Gibson
Jorrit Hendrix (Foreign)
Marcelo (Foreign)
Ruon Tongyik

Expiring End of Season 2024/2025
Gabriel Cleur
Jack Clisby
Josh Brillante
Lawrence Thomas
Lachlan Brook
Marcus Antonsson (Foreign)
Marcus Younis (Youth)
Nicolas Milanovic
Oscar Priestman (Youth)
Taiga Harper (Youth)
Tom Beadling
Zac Sapsford

Expiring End of Season 2025/26
Aidan Simmons (Youth)
Alex Badolato
Alex Bonetig (Youth)
Ayden Hammond (Youth)

Expiring End of Season 2026/27
Brandon Borrello

Expiring End Of Season 2027/28
Nathan Barrie (Youth)

This post from @apvz got lost just before I moved to the new thread:

---------

Alright season is officially over so we can start planning for next season. Here's what I would do: Firstly, Rudan can GO

Players Loaned Out
Jarrod Carluccio (Perth, Contract expires this season) - Go
Oliver Bozanic (Perth, contract expires this season) - Go 

Expiring End of Season 2023/2024
Anthony Pantazopolous (Youth) - Go 
Aydan Hammond (Youth) - Keep (Has good potential)
Daniel Margush - Go (He wanted to go this season, can go now.) 
Doni Grdic - Go (what was the point of this guy?)
Dylan Scicluna - Stay (has potential)
George Antonis (Youth) - Go (if i remember correctly he's already gone?)
Jack Gibson - Stay (Deserves a chance as backup and should be fit by the start of next season)
Jorrit Hendrix (Foreign) - Stay (the team was much better with him in it, great experience in midfield and will still only be 29 when next season starts)
Marcelo (Foreign) - Stay (I can see he is beginning to lose his touch but is still class. Just needs a solid partner)
Milos Ninkovic - Go (retiring) 
Nathaneal Blair (Youth) - Stay (I like him, big body and can throw himself around off the bench as he did against Victory)
Ruon Tongyik - Go (no explanation required)
Sonny Kittel (Foreign, Loan) - Go (so disappointing considering our last foreign loan signing was our beloved Layouni. Did not live up to the hype at all)
Valentino Yuel - Stay (Was definitely lively when he played. Obviously something has happened with Rudan. A good squaddie to have)

Expiring End of Season 2024/2025 (assuming i could just get rid of people at will)
Dylan Pierias - Stay (he can stay as long as he's a squaddie and not starting) 
Gabriel Cleur - Stay (good versatility, pretty much played all across the backline and midfield this season)
Jack Clisby - Go (there has to be better options out there)
Josh Brillante - Go (He's okay at best and is washed. With the salary he is probably on, he can go). 
Lawrence Thomas - Stay (Still one of the best keepers in the league)
Lachlan Brook - Stay (outperformed any early expectations we had for him. Missed him big time when he was gone)
Marcus Antonsson (Foreign) - Go (There has to be a way to tear up this guys contract. He was a completely different player in preseason. Hard to pinpoint where is all went wrong.)
Marcus Younis (Youth) - Stay (he is a gun) 
Nicolas Milanovic - Stay - (Same as Brook, outperformed our expectations of him, probably player of the season)
Oscar Priestman (Youth) - Stay - (Hopefully another preseason under his belt and he can get better)
Tate Russell - Go - (Meh, was average when he played and happy to have Simmons and Scicluna as our two RB's
Taiga Harper (Youth) - Stay (i guess?)
Tom Beadling - Go (To me, just isn't good enough and too injury prone)
Zac Sapsford - Stay (will be 22 at the start of next season, so he really has to start making an impact)

Expiring End of Season 2025/26 (Again, assuming i could just get rid of players at will)
Aidan Simmons (Youth) - Stay (our best RB. Has potential to go overseas)
Alex Badolato - Stay (probably another one that has fallen out with Rudan. I would keep him around)
Alex Bonetig (Youth) - Stay (as a squaddie) 

Brandon Borrello - Stay (if Marcelo goes, he's our captain) 

POSITIONS TO STRENGTHEN

• Centre back (Never replaced Mrcela and we felt it)
  • Attacking mid (Firstly change the formation to something that actually uses an attacking mid, then bring me some spicy latino no. 10)
  • Defensive mid (someone to go with Hendrix) 
  • Left back (if they can attack and defend that would be cool)
  • Striker (8th time's the charm for a foreign striker right?)
9 hours ago, mack said:

This post from @apvz got lost just before I moved to the new thread:

---------

Alright season is officially over so we can start planning for next season. Here's what I would do: Firstly, Rudan can GO

Players Loaned Out
Jarrod Carluccio (Perth, Contract expires this season) - Go
Oliver Bozanic (Perth, contract expires this season) - Go 

Expiring End of Season 2023/2024
Anthony Pantazopolous (Youth) - Go 
Aydan Hammond (Youth) - Keep (Has good potential)
Daniel Margush - Go (He wanted to go this season, can go now.) 
Doni Grdic - Go (what was the point of this guy?)
Dylan Scicluna - Stay (has potential)
George Antonis (Youth) - Go (if i remember correctly he's already gone?)
Jack Gibson - Stay (Deserves a chance as backup and should be fit by the start of next season)
Jorrit Hendrix (Foreign) - Stay (the team was much better with him in it, great experience in midfield and will still only be 29 when next season starts)
Marcelo (Foreign) - Stay (I can see he is beginning to lose his touch but is still class. Just needs a solid partner)
Milos Ninkovic - Go (retiring) 
Nathaneal Blair (Youth) - Stay (I like him, big body and can throw himself around off the bench as he did against Victory)
Ruon Tongyik - Go (no explanation required)
Sonny Kittel (Foreign, Loan) - Go (so disappointing considering our last foreign loan signing was our beloved Layouni. Did not live up to the hype at all)
Valentino Yuel - Stay (Was definitely lively when he played. Obviously something has happened with Rudan. A good squaddie to have)

Expiring End of Season 2024/2025 (assuming i could just get rid of people at will)
Dylan Pierias - Stay (he can stay as long as he's a squaddie and not starting) 
Gabriel Cleur - Stay (good versatility, pretty much played all across the backline and midfield this season)
Jack Clisby - Go (there has to be better options out there)
Josh Brillante - Go (He's okay at best and is washed. With the salary he is probably on, he can go). 
Lawrence Thomas - Stay (Still one of the best keepers in the league)
Lachlan Brook - Stay (outperformed any early expectations we had for him. Missed him big time when he was gone)
Marcus Antonsson (Foreign) - Go (There has to be a way to tear up this guys contract. He was a completely different player in preseason. Hard to pinpoint where is all went wrong.)
Marcus Younis (Youth) - Stay (he is a gun) 
Nicolas Milanovic - Stay - (Same as Brook, outperformed our expectations of him, probably player of the season)
Oscar Priestman (Youth) - Stay - (Hopefully another preseason under his belt and he can get better)
Tate Russell - Go - (Meh, was average when he played and happy to have Simmons and Scicluna as our two RB's
Taiga Harper (Youth) - Stay (i guess?)
Tom Beadling - Go (To me, just isn't good enough and too injury prone)
Zac Sapsford - Stay (will be 22 at the start of next season, so he really has to start making an impact)

Expiring End of Season 2025/26 (Again, assuming i could just get rid of players at will)
Aidan Simmons (Youth) - Stay (our best RB. Has potential to go overseas)
Alex Badolato - Stay (probably another one that has fallen out with Rudan. I would keep him around)
Alex Bonetig (Youth) - Stay (as a squaddie) 

Brandon Borrello - Stay (if Marcelo goes, he's our captain) 

POSITIONS TO STRENGTHEN

• Centre back (Never replaced Mrcela and we felt it)
  • Attacking mid (Firstly change the formation to something that actually uses an attacking mid, then bring me some spicy latino no. 10)
  • Defensive mid (someone to go with Hendrix) 
  • Left back (if they can attack and defend that would be cool)
  • Striker (8th time's the charm for a foreign striker right?)

Agree on almost all fronts. I'm pretty sure Yuel has simply been frozen out, plus I dont want him taking time off Hammond or Younis. Also Beadling will be cheap as chips considering where he came from. For me he fills enough roles that he's almost worth it at that price (I'm assuming circa 100k-120k)

Those 5 positions are pretty accurate too. And it very much felt like our formation/system (or complete lack of system) wasa dictated by some really poor/limited recruiting. We absolutely must get the CB, 10 and 9 positions right for next season or we are bound to be in the exact same position in 12 months

3 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Did we ever get confirmation? I know it was being discussed mid season but I never saw an announcement

I havne't seen it anywhere. Everything I can find indicates he expires on June 30 with the rest of them.

But I've been told he is contracted for next season.

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

So what happened to Yuel? I forgot all about him was doing ok then disappeared 

Last I heard he was sent off to train with the NPL team and he's not been seen since. He scored some nice goals but he wasnt very useful in the build up.

We have 4 very talented wingers all under the age of 23, all performing and scoring goals... and Pierias. I'm happy with them. We'd be over the moon if we had 2 foreign wingers scoring 8-9 goals each a season. Brook and Mila are worth their weight in gold atm

2 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Last I heard he was sent off to train with the NPL team and he's not been seen since. He scored some nice goals but he wasnt very useful in the build up.

We have 4 very talented wingers all under the age of 23, all performing and scoring goals... and Pierias. I'm happy with them. We'd be over the moon if we had 2 foreign wingers scoring 8-9 goals each a season. Brook and Mila are worth their weight in gold atm

I did hear something about him falling out with Rudan 

But like you say we don't really need him. Id completely forgot about him until I read the squad list.

Milanovic and Younis are where it's at, Brook too although I like him playing more central 

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

I did hear something about him falling out with Rudan 

But like you say we don't really need him. Id completely forgot about him until I read the squad list.

Milanovic and Younis are where it's at, Brook too although I like him playing more central 

Yeah Brook has shown a lot of potential centrally. Mila is a different player, he loves to get the ball at his feet and then run at defenders. He's scored 4-5 doing that this season. Brook has been decent connecting transitions to attacks, plus his shooting from distance has improved out of sight over the last 2-3 years. I was really disappointed we didnt see Borello playing between these two boys 20 games this season. Borello seems verey happy to help bring others into the game. Antonsson by comparison was a statue

1 minute ago, SBW said:

Whats the situation with Stamtopoulos at the Jets?

Can we sign him instead?

He has strong interest from 2 Serie B teams. Apparently theres a fee involves, plus his contract has another season at Jets

1 hour ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

He's young and promising - why would you want to reverse his development by bringing him to the Great Rooty Hill Turf Farm?

He can stand up front while we piss about with the ball at the back and lose it.

2 hours ago, Upthehill said:

He has strong interest from 2 Serie B teams. Apparently theres a fee involves, plus his contract has another season at Jets

Don't we own the Jets still? Lol

Move Borello centrally like last season with the young boys on either wing. Forget this foreign no 9 next season. Waste of a spot.  

38 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Don't we own the Jets still? Lol

Move Borello centrally like last season with the young boys on either wing. Forget this foreign no 9 next season. Waste of a spot.  

Yeah we don't need to recruit there I dont think. I just mean we need to get the position right. Borello was so strong as a long 9 bringing Layouni and Amalfitano into the play last year. Let him get fit and do his job. Sapsford is a more than worth backup for that role right now

Against Victory we had the following on the pitch at various times.

• Sapsford - 21
  • Brook - 23
  • Milanovic - 22
  • Priestman - 21
  • Scicluna - 19
  • Younis - 18
  • Hammond - 20
  • Blair - 20
  • Simmons - 20

There's plenty of quality there that would take up minimal cap space. Mix them with decent visa players and we shouldn't need the usual A-League journeymen that take up too much cap space for the value they bring to a squad. Also I'm working on the assumption that we replace Rudan and play a system that better suits our players. If we keep him replace all of the below with "recruit a local All Age Men's team and bank the salary cap for when his contract expires".

Goalkeeper

Thomas needs to stay. I'm leaning towards letting Margush go, although he was good when he covered for Thomas this season and I worry that it's too soon for Harper and Gibson. If he's ok with being a clear number two maybe keep him for another year while the others come through.

Defense

Marcelo is starting to show his age but he's still our best CB. I'd offer another season. A new CB alongside him (possibly a visa player) with Beadling and Cleur as cover would be fine. Simmons is the clear RB, with Cleur as cover. We have another year of Clisby so we can have a plan to phase him out for Scicluna at LB. Tate has gone backwards this season and with two players arguably ahead of him in both FB roles offering him a way out might be the move. Bonetig has a long contract and would be cheap so I'd see how he develops. Given the depth there if we bring in a visa CB I wouldn't renew Pantazopolous or Grdic. Tongyik can absolutely leave.

Midfield

I'd offer Hendrix another season. His best games coincided with the team's best games and we missed him when he was unavailable. Priestman needs to stay. He's already as effective as Brillante without taking up the cap space and with the potential for a transfer fee. I'd let Brillante go but we've got him for another season. I guess use him while he's taking up cap space but I'd be starting Hendrix and Priestman ahead of him, so if he got an offer elsewhere I'd let him take it. Beadling and Cleur can also play there so we have plenty of cover. Bozanic hasn't played this calendar year and is 35 now so I'd let him go if we haven't already. A visa 10 is important. Brook can do bits behind the striker but getting a player like an Arslan, Davila, Machach, etc. to feed our front line would make a massive difference. Kittel is not that and he can go. Badolato has a long contract so he can be the understudy to the visa 10.

Forwards

This is where we're currently a little spoiled. Giving Borello an offseason to properly get over his injuries should make a huge difference. I feel like this season he was always rushed back. Agree he needs to play down the middle. His crossing is actually terrible so play him where he's more effective. We've got Sapsford and Blair that can play there as well. Antonsson has another year on his contract but I'd be trying to let him go. I think he started ok but doesn't suit how we played, and was completely ineffective after Farrell went full grub on him. Out wide Milanovic and Brook should be the starters. We've got Pierias for another season and I don't see a reason to try to move him on. I wouldn't be regularly starting him but his pace in behind has some tactical advantages (Sydney had no idea what to do with him in the first derby of the season). Younis should start to get more first team minutes next season, which is useful in a position that regularly doesn't play 90 minutes. Hammond can also cover there when we want to give him some minutes. Not sure what to make of Yuel. Was decent when he played but not sure why he dropped out of the side. If it was just issues with Rudan then offer a new contract if cheap.

I don't think we need to make enormous changes. We just need to sign three new visa players that are actually a step above what we can get locally. CB and a 10 are a must. The remaining one can go anywhere I guess, just depends on who we find.

The senior players with a few exceptions failed to produce. Borello and Hendrix got injured which didn't help. Thomas got shafted by the manager for getting a national team callup and taking it.

Kittel and Antosson were non events. Brilliante was indifferent. Clisby was ok then terrible.....all in the same game.

Beadling was in and out of the starting squad......same as Cluer. Ninkovic played eff all minutes.

It was left to the youth to carry the team......not their fault we missed out.

It's going to be interesting in who stays and who goes. Once again we have the basis for a very good squad. All on club management as to what happens in the off season with recruitment etc..

2 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Get f*cked.

Heard Hendrix is leaving as well (hopefully not to another A-League club).

Brilliant

We are stuck with him to about round 10 then

29 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Get f*cked.

I dont get this. Why give him a whole preseason (again), the Australia cup and the start of a new season just to find out if he can run a football team? We know he cant. Theres 4 Aleague seasons of evidence regarding how this is going to end...

Lederer is gambling an entire season on the outcome of 3-7 games...

Well here's my summary:

Release (Off Contract)
Carluccio - I think there's a spot in the A-League for him still, just not at WSW. Could be a decent squad pickup for Canberra or staying in Perth.
Bozanic - I think he's at the end of his career at least as a full professional. 36 years old next season, lost his spot at the worst team in the league by Round 11.
Pantazopolous - Got hooked at half-time in the NPL, the week after getting red carded. Main position is central defence and he's behind Barrie, Bonetig & Grdic and the various 'emergency' central defenders like Cleur & Hendrix.
Margush - Never rated him, and a few decent weeks as a stand-in #1 after Rudan got shitty at Thomas isn't worth keeping him around.
Grdic - He's done good in the NPL, maybe we extend his contract until the January transfer window? Alternative is you play Bonetig & Barrie in the NPL, knowing that pair is very young.
George Antonis - Already gone, just never had any official confirmation, going to remove him after I post this.
Jack Gibson - Rejoined the club after being released because Rudan clearly didn't trust Margush (despite giving Margush a new contract !?), and now after an ACL he's an obvious release. It's unfortunate but this is the nature of football.
Marcelo - 1 more year might be 1 more year too much, our defence this season wasn't spectacular and 2 goals from set pieces isn't enough to make up for that. He might stay if the scouting network hasn't found any other good foreign central defensive options, also rumours he's already signed a new deal so that could make this point moot.
Ninkovic - Even if he wasn't retiring he's done.
Ruon Tongyik - Clear release even if you exclude his legal troubles, the league passed him by 4 years ago and I wouldn't have bought him back in the first place.
Kittel - It's hardly a release, more like just returning some rubbish your neighbour accidentally threw over the fence.
Yuel - Emergency signing who scored 2 goals then got the cold shoulder. We have a million wing-forwards better than him.

Re-Sign (Off Contract)
Hammond - This is a no-brainer extension to a full contract.
Dylan Scicluna - Classic A-League squad player and still young. I'd probably give him a 2 year deal.
Hendrix - I'd have to know the extent of his injury to be sure but out of all our foreigners he's the biggest keep.
Blair - Has made an astonishing improvement in the NPL this season vs last. He also gives something different to the rest of the pacy 'wing forward' types we have, I would resign him on a long contract and have him as our 7th sub every week next season.

Keep (Existing Contract)
Cleur - Just kind of hangs about as a mid-table level squad player and fills in gaps. Wouldn't be a starter but a good sub option.
Brillante - Another strange 2 year contract decision. Fills in gaps, hopefully next year most of our matches the midfield is Preistman/Hendrix and a foreign Attacking Midfielder with Brillante either on the bench or out of the squad.
Oscar Priestman - Solid midfield hand who hasn't reached the level that Niuewenhof did, but will still be in and around the first team. I would look to get him extended in January next year to avoid him leaving.
Harper - Still extremely young, he's made some mistakes in the NPL but it's rare keepers don't make mistakes at some point, and he's done well as a shot stopper.
Tom Beadling - Another middle of the road defensive/midfield squaddie.
Zac Sapsford - How much is a player who only scores in derbies worth? Killing it in the NPL, no need to change the way we're using him. Look to extend next season.
Alex Badolato - He's been around the first team since he was 17 so still very young, he won't even turn 20 until February next year. I think it's time for him to be the attacking central midfield understudy to whatever foreign player we find for that role next year.
Alex Bonetig - His extra years over Barrie is what has kept him getting game time, although he's had multiple games where he has been hooked at half-time in the A-League, but he's still contracted until 2025/26 so he can stay and compete with Barrie and/or play in the NPL team with him.
Borrello - Only player contract for 3 more seasons, unlikely his status will be touched unless a foreign team comes in for him but I don't see that following the injury and lack of form on returning.

Extend (Still On Contract)
Lawrence Thomas - Best keeper we've had since Covic. Expires end of next season, I would extend that with at least 1 more year.
Marcus Younis - He needs to be upgraded to a full proper, long term contract ASAP. 4 years with a big release clause that also includes an on-sale %. I put him above everyone but Milanovic & Brook right now.
Milanovic - A breakout season, he reminds me of how Thomas Broich used to play, with 9 goals & 5 assists and starting regularly he could still get even better. Add 2 or 3 years to his deal and add on a release clause because if he keeps knocking in goals & picking up assists he will attract interest.
Aidan Simmons - He's got 2 seasons left but I'd still extend him into a 3 or 4 year full time contract with a good release clause. He could end up doing what Tate Russell might have done, and been a very long term player for us.

Release/Allow To Leave (Still On Contract)
Pierias - I don't rate him now, I didn't rate him when we bought him in. He's fast but 5 goal involvements in 13 games worth of playing time isn't enough. I'd rather relesae him and play our promising youth wingers.
Clisby - I still don't get why he had to get a 2 year deal, it's not like he was tearing up the league at Perth. Would likely end up staying simply because it will be a lot of work to replace so many defenders, especially left fullbacks.
Antonsson - Hard to find a collapse in form like this, 2nd half of the season he was a complete waste of space, missing sitters, penalties, getting in the way of other players. He might say "I'm not leaving" so we could be stuck with him.
Tate Russell - The ACL has ruined him. One of the worst impacts I've seen an injury have on the prospects of a young player. He was lining up to be a one club, 15 year type player and now he'd be lucky to make an NPL team.

This is what our depth would look like:

GK - Thomas, Harper
DR - Simmons, Scicluna, Cleur 
CB - New Foreigner or Marcelo
CB - Bonetig\Barrie\Beadling
DL - Clisby/Scicluna 
DM - Hendrix, Beadling
MC - Priestman, Brillante
AMR - Milanovic, Hammond  
AMC - New Foreigner, Badolato 
AML - Brook, Younis
ST - Borrello, Sapsford, Blair

Leaving the key targets to be a foreign central defender (with the rumour being Tom Aldred from Roar, or we keep Marcelo), foreign attacking midfielder and if we can get rid of Antonsson, a foreign left fullback.

I would make a play for Dan Hall off the Mariners, otherwise you're stuck looking at players from mid-table or worse (eg Aldred, Curtis Good, Nick Ansell, Cancar).

If Hendrix goes we need another midfielder, there's not a lot of talent in the A-League here off contract, so maybe Nick Pennington from the Nix or Balard off the Mariners.

Left back has a really poor amount off contract, I wouldn't want any of them, so maybe look at the youth teams of the other clubs or an NPL player, otherwise have to go overseas. This is likely the only reason Clisby's position isn't under threat.

51 minutes ago, mack said:

Well here's my summary:

Release (Off Contract)
Carluccio - I think there's a spot in the A-League for him still, just not at WSW. Could be a decent squad pickup for Canberra or staying in Perth.
Bozanic - I think he's at the end of his career at least as a full professional. 36 years old next season, lost his spot at the worst team in the league by Round 11.

Perth ITK's saying Carluccio is signed to perth for next season.

Personally think he should have tried to convert ot being a LB/RB earlier. He's quite two footed and would have been very handy there, a real terrier. He's not up to current standard in attack.

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

Perth ITK's saying Carluccio is signed to perth for next season.

Personally think he should have tried to convert ot being a LB/RB earlier. He's quite two footed and would have been very handy there, a real terrier. He's not up to current standard in attack.

I think he played as a wingback on debut against City and was quite good. Think it might've been under Babbel?

3 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Get f*cked.

I’m enjoying this reply that everyone's assuming is a Rudan burner account.

1 minute ago, Davo said:

I’m enjoying this reply that everyone's assuming is a Rudan burner account.

That stinks of a rudes burner.

If that "person" genuinely thinks Rudan has no impact on players leaving the club, then they're dropped on their head. Rudes either has no power and is simply the guy that does post match interviews, or he's responsible for the outcome of the team and the morale. It can't be both ways.

I said this a few weeks back after the 7-0 city slapping, Lederer has basically never gotten a decision right since he took over the club, and that it would get worse. Choosing to 'review' Rudan after a few weeks is the perfect example of it getting worse since we are burning another 12 months opf development. Just another example of Lederer getting it wrong. He doesn't understand club football cycles and we will suffer until someone with a modicum of competence can take the reigns.