Trains, Transport & Infrastructure

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a look at the new Phive building in Parra yesterday that houses the library and other council admin. Impressive and worth a look. I like the very small historical displays they have at the entrance to each level, and a section on football and the Wanderers of course.

it’s worth a look when down that way.

Phive

Edited by Smoggy

The M12 Motorwaym12-airport-motorway-route-1024x570.jpg

Key Characteristics of the M12 Airport Motorway:

• An east-west 16 kilometre motorway between the M7 Motorway, Cecil Hills and The Northern Road, Luddenham
  • A 300 metre wide corridor, that would be reduced to 100-150 metres during the preliminary design process
  • A motorway built for four lanes (with provision for up to six lanes) with a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
  • A grade separated interchange at the Western Sydney Airport
  • New at grade connection to The Northern Road
  • Motorway-to-motorway interchange at the M7 Motorway
  • Provision for a grade-separated interchange in the vicinity of Mamre Road / Devonshire Road
  • Off-road shared pedestrian and cyclist paths.

Key Objective of the M12 Airport Motorway:

• Provide direct access from the M7 Motorway to the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek, and from the M4 Motorway via The Northern Road
  • Improve access to the Western Sydney Priority Growth Area and the South West Priority Growth Area
  • Increase road capacity for future growth and development
  • Improve traffic safety for road users
  • Increase pedestrian and cyclist infrastructure
  • Improve road freight movement to key commercial centres
  • Reduce the cost of congestion impact to the community and business.
5 minutes ago, SBW said:

The M12 Motorwaym12-airport-motorway-route-1024x570.jpg

Key Characteristics of the M12 Airport Motorway:

•  
  • A motorway built for four lanes (with provision for up to six lanes) with a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
  •  

MY PET PEEVE of road constructions. Just make it 6 lanes in the first place, unless there is planner on this forum I don't get why this doesn't happen from the start.

On 25/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, Smoggy said:

Had a look at the new Phive building in Parra yesterday that houses the library and other council admin. Impressive and worth a look. I like the very small historical displays they have at the entrance to each level, and a section on football and the Wanderers of course.

it’s worth a look when down that way.

Phive

We took the kids there yesterday, they had a great time.

Also I hadn’t been to that part of Parramatta for a while and it’s completely unrecognisable.

1 hour ago, Davo said:

We took the kids there yesterday, they had a great time.

Also I hadn’t been to that part of Parramatta for a while and it’s completely unrecognisable.

Yeah, if you haven’t been to Parra in year or two you would get a shock. And yep, that Phive building has some great spaces to use, a real asset to the centre of Parra that. The main square out the front of Phive doesn’t look too far away from completion and will be nice when all the barriers finally come down after so long.

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

The Leuralla toy and train museum in Leura closed its doors in May, took my son there was he under 5.

Anyhoo, they are flogging everything off in an auction at the Hydro Majestic over the next few weeks, some railway things. Pricey though..

Leuralla stuff

Wow, what awesome stuff. 

10 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I like the original blue mountains posters and the railway clocks..but not for those prices.

Some of the prices are unbelievable but I swear if I was rich I'd take a few items. There was one or two things I thought were reasonable, but what a collection!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They are trying to build the Oberon line back to Tarana where it branched off the main line. They currently have a few k’s of track down. All run by volunteers giving their time on weekends.

They are based out of the Oberon station site and is well worth a visit if out that way for a wander around and a chat. I went there a few years back when my old man was here as he loves a look around  things like that. He spent a happy hour or so talking the ears off the volunteers on all things railways. I have a few items from the shop also.

Get along and have a sticky, they need your support :) https://othr.com.au/ They love to see new visitors.

When I am up that way I always take a look, not always open, but I pull up at the Oberon station site for a bit.

Edited by Smoggy
11 hours ago, marron said:

It's lovely country through there. Had a couple of drives out that way the last couple of years along the Fish river, you cross tracks over little bridges and stuff a few times. Hilly and green, very English feeling.

I went up Oberon way at least twice a year, well before covid I did. Usually same route via Jenolan and a ride up shooters hill then round to Oberon and sometimes down that way to Bathurst. It is very nice out that way.  If they ever get the full line back to Oberon it would be a great tourist draw.

Edited by Smoggy

Oh cool, had no idea. Will definitely check it out next time. With roads closed last year or whenever it was we drove through Tarana when heading out, like I said, picturesque, and I imagine the line to Oberon would be nice and windy through the more elevated country there.

That area, Hartley -》 Bathurst i guess, really historic stuff, wild country back in the day, it's easy to see why settlers were keen on it but also how bushranging and stuff really kicked off there.

3 minutes ago, marron said:

Oh cool, had no idea. Will definitely check it out next time. With roads closed last year or whenever it was we drove through Tarana when heading out, like I said, picturesque, and I imagine the line to Oberon would be nice and windy through the more elevated country there.

That area, Hartley -》 Bathurst i guess, really historic stuff, wild country back in the day, it's easy to see why settlers were keen on it but also how bushranging and stuff really kicked off there.

Been meaning to go back to Oberon railway and try out their high tea cause the wife likes things like that. Plus every penny they get helps, so do call in next time :)