Armageddon Thread

marron

16 minutes ago, marron said:

"People" are heading up the mountains hitting every grocery shop all the way to lithgow. 

**** it, release Dutton.

Some supermarkets in rural Victoria have hired security guards to ensure shoppers are from their town or immediate surrounding areas.

It's been happening in other parts of NSW and Vic too. Ridiculous and irresponsible.

You do realise that now the apocalypse is descending upon us, crowds have been banned, we have atteded games hell or high water, we are going to have an unbeaten run and win a GF but none of us will be able to go. All commentators will be sick except Robbie Slater and he'll have to call every game. You know I'm right.:ninja:

:D

PS....Stay Safe.

Edited by sonar
15 minutes ago, sonar said:

You do realise that now the apocalypse is descending upon us, crowds have been banned, we have atteded games hell or high water, we are going to have an unbeaten run and win a GF but none of us will be able to go. All commentators will be sick except Robbie Slater and he'll have to call every game. You know I'm right.:ninja:

:D

PS....Stay Safe.

Im just waiting for four horsemen to come clip clopping down our street..

Remember those doc's about doomsday preppers and you laughed at them and called them nuts...well who's laughing now..huh huh huh?

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Im just waiting for four horsemen to come clip clopping down our street..

Remember those doc's about doomsday preppers and you laughed at them and called them nuts...well who's laughing now..huh huh huh?

.....and the four horseman ( borrowed from the Riot Squad ) chanting......Viva La Revolution ! Death to the RBB......

The best thing is we aren't the US.

Edited by sonar

I'm not laughing at the doomsday preppers, but I'm cursing both them and the Walking Dead for making people think they need to go on missions to buy shitloads of food.

The people who have lived through wars and actual depression and famine are shaking their heads.

It's interesting to watch; I have wondered for a quite a while about how the soft slippered west will go; I don't think I expected the soft slippered to actually be the cause of all this **** though. Like... get a big bag of rice. You are pretty much set at that point (especially in our situation!). But the inability of people to fathom how they might live... **** it's staggering. No thought for anyone who might need it. It really doesn't help that there isn't clear messaging about what assistance will be provided for people who are in isolation but running out of food (i.e., they won't run out).

Edited by marron
12 minutes ago, marron said:

I'm not laughing at the doomsday preppers, but I'm cursing both them and the Walking Dead for making people think they need to go on missions to buy shitloads of food.

The people who have lived through wars and actual depression and famine are shaking their heads.

It's interesting to watch; I have wondered for a quite a while about how the soft slippered west will go; I don't think I expected the soft slippered to actually be the cause of all this **** though. Like... get a big bag of rice. You are pretty much set at that point (especially in our situation!). But the inability of people to fathom how they might live... **** it's staggering. No thought for anyone who might need it. It really doesn't help that there isn't clear messaging about what assistance will be provided for people who are in isolation but running out of food (i.e., they won't run out).

I said it in another thread

Anyone caugh throwing unused food out after all this is done want stringing up.

3 minutes ago, marron said:

We've taken the approach that we have just enough for two weeks in the pantry etc and will shop just for what we use from now on. We have bought extras like a pkt of powdered milk which is 7 litres when made.

Fear of the unknown is scaring people and driving otherwise sane people into doing insane things. A lot of people have never known recession,unemployment. They were spared the worst of the GFC because the govt of the day took action to keep people employed.I,and I'm assuming others here as well have been in both situations and have a good idea what is required.to survive. Many don't.

I may be coming across as a bit flippant in regards to preppers etc ( I still think they are nuts ) but my feeling is that the best of us as people will win out....just as it did during the fires.

14 minutes ago, sonar said:

We've taken the approach that we have just enough for two weeks in the pantry etc and will shop just for what we use from now on. We have bought extras like a pkt of powdered milk which is 7 litres when made.

Fear of the unknown is scaring people and driving otherwise sane people into doing insane things. A lot of people have never known recession,unemployment. They were spared the worst of the GFC because the govt of the day took action to keep people employed.I,and I'm assuming others here as well have been in both situations and have a good idea what is required.to survive. Many don't.

I may be coming across as a bit flippant in regards to preppers etc ( I still think they are nuts ) but my feeling is that the best of us as people will win out....just as it did during the fires.

PS.......I'm of the opinion that because of the initial inept response to the devastating fires by the Fed govt people have little or no trust they will do what's in the nations interest.....hence panic.

It doesn't excuse poor behavior....it's a symptom of it.

Edited by sonar

Went to buy 2 dozens eggs from the local supermarket yesterday. 2 women in the checkout line in front of me had 30 dozen eggs between them FFS!!!!  . :nono:

went back an hour later and they had restocked them, thank fuuck ,a lady was telling us this was her 3rd shop she’d been to just to get fuucking eggs!  

16 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Went to buy 2 dozens eggs from the local supermarket yesterday. 2 women in the checkout line in front of me had 30 dozen eggs between them FFS!!!!  . :nono:

went back an hour later and they had restocked them, thank fuuck ,a lady was telling us this was her 3rd shop she’d been to just to get fuucking eggs!  

It's just beyond comprehension what these people are thinking. I don't understand it.

If everyone just shopped normally, there would be enough of everything for everyone.

Just 3 weeks ago, there wasn't an issue. Supermarkets were full of stock. Everyone got what they wanted.

Now, unnecessary panic has caused further panic, and that initial panic by ****wits has caused further panic, and now, only the greedy are getting any of the essentials.

Someone smarter than me needs to start some anti dumb arse panic buying thingy on fb and get the ball rolling to shame these greedy ****wits. The majority of us humans who are decent, need to shut down this panic buying. 

Throughout this situation, I have only gone out and bought what I needed. I haven't bought 3 months worth of stuff at any stage nor stockpiled goods that I do not need.

Now, I find myself being unable to buy essentials. 

Edited by Wanderboy
1 hour ago, sonar said:

54 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

We produce enough food to feed our population 3 times over....:nono:

sheeple are just plain selfish and stupid

We have stocked up somewhat - although not to any excess.

But here's the thing, which only hit me yesterday (as I went to the supermarket to buy cockatoo food :lol: to feed the birds that hang out around my school).  I don't want to be at the shops. It didn't feel safe to be there - pushing around a trolley, that others had been handling all day etc.

That's the only indoor place, apart from my workplace, that I will go to for the time being, but I really don't want to pop in every day on the way home, as I used to, to pick up groceries.

I certainly don't want to go on a weekend excursion to the shops (which I rarely do, because I hate shopping tbh).

So maybe some people are stocking up, with a view to minimising the need to venture out into places that are unavoidable, but which have thousands of people passing through each day? 

52 minutes ago, sonar said:

PS.......I'm of the opinion that because of the initial inept response to the devastating fires by the Fed govt people have little or no trust they will do what's in the nations interest.....hence panic.

It doesn't excuse poor behavior....it's a symptom of it.

Absolutely this is part of the problem.

5 minutes ago, wendybr said:

We have stocked up somewhat - although not to any excess..........

So maybe some people are stocking up, with a view to minimising the need to venture out into places that are unavoidable, but which have thousands of people passing through each day? 

This..^^^^...our thinking as well. 

33 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I wouldn't be taking your 90 year old dad to the supermarket at all, if I were you.

A park - yes, a shopping mall/supermarket - no way.

Caught between a rock and a hard place as far dad is concerned.He really misses not being able to drive and doesn't want his home to become a prison. In many ways he hates losing his ability to be independent and I sympathise with him in that regard.Funny you mention a park as I was thinking of seeing if my sisters are up for a picnic, or something similar for him.

5 minutes ago, sonar said:

Caught between a rock and a hard place as far dad is concerned.He really misses not being able to drive and doesn't want his home to become a prison. In many ways he hates losing his ability to be independent and I sympathise with him in that regard.Funny you mention a park as I was thinking of seeing if my sisters are up for a picnic, or something similar for him.

Nice weather to be out and about tomorrow if you can.

Same here as Sonar and Wendy. 

We haven’t gone crazy stocking up but I bravely fought the crowds and went to the shops yesterday morning. I bought some mince, sausages and chicken breast. I also got a packet of flour, two lots of eggs and two lots of bread. 

Balks went the other night and managed to get some pasta, sauces and noodles. We already had a stockpile of tuna, rice and Mi Goreng which all goes like crazy in our household. And luckily Balks spotted a Amazon bargain on toilet paper about a month ago before the craziness. 

We aren’t hoarding but I definitely did feel guilty walking out with two lots of various products from the supermarket even though I had no more than a basket worth. However, I don’t want to be anywhere near a shopping centre or supermarket for the next couple of weeks. So between some takeout and the stuff we’ve got, we should be fine. 

I think the problem is that while some are hoarding and buying to make a profit reselling, I think the majority of people are all of sudden probably buying slightly more than they usually would in a normal shop. This has a compounding effect when nearly everyone does it. 

I think people are also having this reaction because they can’t trust anyone but themselves to look out for them in an emergency. The Government have certainly shown that with the bushfires.

Edited by CaptainJess