What Really Grinds My Gears 5

• 2 weeks later...

After reading an article on the costs of misinformation this morning, I came across this article. Two “influencers” who whilst brandishing strict parenting advice to their millions of followers were seriously abusing the children in their care……all is not what it seems in the fake online world and people’s tendency to seek their advice from unqualified, charismatic people with online channels are the epitome of ignorant for me….we desperately need people to be media literate….

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67837469

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, marron said:

New Ivanhoe.

One by one they are all disappearing.

Everything is gentrified at some point. Was pleased to see that even when the Tollgate was gentrified that Reschs still managed to stay on tap, another one that is getting rare.

I almost posted before, a mate of mine belongs to the Resch's society, they keep an updated list of where has it and you can get a little card and get it stamped and stuff like that. Would not be surprised to learn that their efforts have kept it in one or two places.

I suppose it is linked to gentrification, but also, ffs, you've got 7 pale ales on tap or whatever, would it kill you to have at least one darker option? That's the bit I don't get.

7 minutes ago, marron said:

I almost posted before, a mate of mine belongs to the Resch's society, they keep an updated list of where has it and you can get a little card and get it stamped and stuff like that. Would not be surprised to learn that their efforts have kept it in one or two places.

I suppose it is linked to gentrification, but also, ffs, you've got 7 pale ales on tap or whatever, would it kill you to have at least one darker option? That's the bit I don't get.

I need to join said society.

As a lover of stouts and porters my biggest issue with the rise of craft beer is the tiny amount of dark beers compared to the ubiquitous and incredibly dull pale ale variants. Fruity and hoppy.... **** off!

6 hours ago, Carns said:

I need to join said society.

As a lover of stouts and porters my biggest issue with the rise of craft beer is the tiny amount of dark beers compared to the ubiquitous and incredibly dull pale ale variants. Fruity and hoppy.... **** off!

I do enjoy a pint of Guinness down the Irish pub in the rocks :D

1 hour ago, WSWJACK said:

I do enjoy a pint of Guinness down the Irish pub in the rocks :D

Had a very good Guinness or six in Hobart.

Some of the best I have had outside of Ireland...

And speaking of which...in a few months I will be in Ireland for a long weekend and so will report back on the beer :woah:

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Moving house…the wife must have found some season 1 and 2 stuff…GF programs and merch and so on…that was in the rubbish bag! :shok:

Stupid ******* bitch.

That’s not nice. I get your protectiveness but be nice.

I have to admit I must have 50 wanderers hats, and a whole lotta other stuff that keeps falling out of a cupboard. One day I’m gonna have to part with some of it! 

5 minutes ago, Cynth said:

That’s not nice. I get your protectiveness but be nice.

I have to admit I must have 50 wanderers hats, and a whole lotta other stuff that keeps falling out of a cupboard. One day I’m gonna have to part with some of it! 

I’m from Yorkshire, that IS being nice :lol:

And anyway….…she calls me worse :D

Edited by Smoggy
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah..I think the wife and I are just about ready to throttle each other with this house move.

The wife says to me today…”give the place a good Hoover”…I said “why, we have the cleaner coming tomorrow”……”yeah, but I don’t want the place looking too bad”…….:unknw:

wtaf……tbh…I just went and got the Hoover and got on with it…I could tell it wasn’t the right moment to question the point….!

Edited by Smoggy

This has ground my gears for years  and the RBA "might" do something about it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-04/australians-lose-one-billion-in-surcharges-least-cost-routing/103530946?utm_source=abc_news_app&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_app&utm_content=other

And the article states that surcharges for card use are banned in the UK and Europe.

26 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Hold on......according to Ley, Hume and Tehan the result was a raging success for the LNP......can't wait to see that Irish immigrant take his place in the house :xnod:

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

Hold on......according to Ley, Hume and Tehan the result was a raging success for the LNP......can't wait to see that Irish immigrant take his place in the house :xnod:

Swing to the Liberal/Tory Party was mostly because that there were no One Nation/Palmer candidates so they return to the right wing nearly extremist Dutton party

One Nation and UAP got 7.87% of the vote in 2022. Didn't run this time and the Libs picked up 6.84%.

That helped them in the two party preferred vote, but Labor still went from 40.23% of first preferences in 2022 to 41.10% in 2024, which is a strong result considering by-elections usually have a swing against the government.