What Floats Your Boat 4

All this talk about the mountains is wonderful. I can't wait to get up there again.

But, today, I went into the city for a walk around. Caught the fabulous Metro into Chatswood, then the snail train into town.

All in all, I ended up walking kilometres today, caught 8 different trains and one tram, walked the length of the city, visited Observatory Hill which I'd never been to before and took a load of amazing photos.

It all cost the Sunday cap on the Opal card of $8.

And, the city was absolutely pumping. The usual spots like Chinatown, The Rocks, Pitt Street Mall, Martin Place, Circular Quay, Opera House forecourt and East Circular Quay, Barangaroo and Darling Harbour were heaving.

Yet, I also caught some peaceful places.

I'm tired, but seriously where in the world could you ever catch these views, for an $8 outlay?

1655014610788-jpeg.3344597

1655014675760-jpeg.3344598

1655014961124-jpeg.3344609

1655015108573-jpeg.3344611

1655015293993-jpeg.3344622

1655015183229-jpeg.3344613

Edited by Wanderboy
3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

All this talk about the mountains is wonderful. I can't wait to get up there again.

But, today, I went into the city for a walk around. Caught the fabulous Metro into Chatswood, then the snail train into town.

All in all, I ended up walking kilometres today, caught 8 different trains and one tram, walked the length of the city, visited Observatory Hill which I'd never been to before and took a load of amazing photos.

It all cost the Sunday cap on the Opal card of $8.

And, the city was absolutely pumping. The usual spots like Chinatown, The Rocks, Pitt Street Mall, Martin Place, Circular Quay, Opera House forecourt and East Circular Quay, Barangaroo and Darling Harbour were heaving.

Yet, I also caught some peaceful places.

I'm tired, but seriously where in the world could you ever catch these views, for an $8 outlay?

1655014610788-jpeg.3344597

1655014675760-jpeg.3344598

1655014961124-jpeg.3344609

1655015108573-jpeg.3344611

1655015293993-jpeg.3344622

1655015183229-jpeg.3344613

Our city is so special, love the pics! 

Eh.

It's a mistake to equate some of that early childhood stuff with a complete lack of discipline.

I think it's also a mistake to forget that they way kids are reared in the industrial world is the blip. As a species probably above 99% of kids in history have been reared closer to the "baby-led" stuff. Like i said somewhere else, we've only had blenders for a hundred years. Sure we have different social conditions now, but our brains are still wired to work developmentally in certain ways, and, weirdly, they're not wired to respond well to being in extreme distress.

We did the baby-led weaning thing. It worked brilliantly on many levels. What we don't do is give in to every whim of our kids. That started with the baby-led weaning too. Here's dinner. That's it, nothing else. You don't want it fine but that's it. So more broadly, just because the idea of it is following the baby and what it's ready for/needs, doesn't mean it's a free for all.

I'd be pretty confident in saying that the kids I see at school who are the biggest issues are the ones whose every whim HAS been provided for, because the parents find it too hard to have the argument - and I'd be just as confident to say that those parents wouldn't know "baby-led weaning" or anything else if it fell in their lap.

Another issue I see is the parents who have had "have kid" on their tick a box list but can't be ****ed actually raising one and throw their hands up in the air if it isn't perfection. It's so difficult! So what's the easiest solution? And that's what they go for, and then get on the socials or write an article on mumsnet or something and complain about people doing something they can't be ****ed to do. The article creates a picture of the screaming kids and parents giving in - which misses the point completely. That's not how it works - it's not giving in, at all. Calling a baby a tyrant is pretty telling. They're a ******* baby. They are not trying to deliberately make your life a misery.

As for the trans stuff, kids have been confused forever. All that is happening now is that there is language and community that kids can access when they couldn't before. Not that long ago - or, still, in many places - if you're a confused kid all you have is the language of "I think I might be gay", and the knowledge that if you say anything about it you'll get your head bashed in. In more places that's not the case anymore, so you see more kids coming out and questioning their identity.

Now, I do think that there is a fine line between changing everything to suit identity exploration and making it so people can be safe to do so. But people need to get over it.

And, to take it back to the beginning - allowing kids to make decisions within firm boundaries - which is what a lot of that baby-led stuff ACTUALLY is - that is more likely to result in happy and confident kids than making rules that can never be questioned and are designed to help a parent "get their life back" or whatever.

16 minutes ago, marron said:

Another issue I see is the parents who have had "have kid" on their tick a box list but can't be ****ed actually raising one

Oh man... don't get me started. I'm not sure what it's like in other parts of the country but locally in the inner-west this is standard operating procedure. 

On 14/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, Zelinsky said:

As Mack has locked the election thread already:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-14/david-pocock-independent-wins-act-senate-unseats-zed-seselja/101149606

And another right winger gone. 

It was heartening tonight to watch QandA and hear a mature climate policy conversation, without the hedging, without climate sceptics and with a collaborative discussion between independents and the government. 

1 minute ago, Cynth said:

It was heartening tonight to watch QandA and hear a mature climate policy conversation, without the hedging, without climate sceptics and with a collaborative discussion between independents and the government. 

Didn't watch, but from your description it sounds like it was an echo chamber of the same fools who've put us in this horrible position.

Disclaimer: Q&A is not something I'd ever watch again I despise the show.

13 minutes ago, Cynth said:

And: Eric Abetz is officially gone as well.

When a plan works.

My old laptop 500gb Sata HDD died yesterday morning. It told me it was going to go two days prior. Did a complete Sys Backup. New 480gb SSD cost $63 plus $40 to fit. After a bit of mucking around got the backup installed. Lost no data etc. One very happy chappy right here.

:woah: