Football Media Discussion

I reckon Gallop needs to sign the new TV deal this week. 88k for Sydney v ccm and 132K for the Melbourne Derby (up against a RL Test which would have affected Sydney viewing numbers).  Ratings are well up on last year after 2 rounds. Do it now before the freakin cricket season and Big Bore starts.

The ratings are about the same as the season before last (average is 2k higher).  We have just recovered what we lost last season.  The task now is to build the "base" ratings which cut in about 9 weeks into the season after the initial flush of good ratings.

AFL journalist on the Melbourne derby

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/10/16/connolly-slams-melbourne-derby-police-presence-media-reporting/#.WALuQdkzfvY.twitter 

"“There’s idiots in any crowd of that size, as there are in any AFL game which draws as many people. The difference is that when it happens at AFL games, the incidents aren’t seized upon and made to appear like they represent the sport as a whole because obviously they’re not."

Edited by beatsurrender

a good listen. good on him.

makes me laugh when i read a "Flare mares derby" article. thats the go to headline if theres not much else happening. I was watching the game didn't see the flare, did it happen off screen when the ball was down the other end? what minute did it happen?, mustve been early in the game since the northern terrace was still there

Connolly's article re last night's Melbourne derby:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/10/16/connolly-slams-melbourne-derby-police-presence-media-reporting/#.WALuQdkzfvY.twitter

If only some of football's so-called 'journalists' could apply logic, fact and cogent writing to their media output

City definitely the team to beat. Not sure how they have managed to obtain all these players, compared to say the Mariners it's hardly a level playing field.

Still if it helps the game grow then maybe it's not a bad thing. To beat them we will need to revisit our ACL campaign philosophy. Outgunned but defend well and knick one. The GF would be the perfect occasion to do it. :)

As this isn't first past the post City can win the league by 20 points but they still have to win a one off match.

Advocating a back to the future counter attacking style ? Can't see it happening as Carrasco was

recruited to transform the team from counter attack to possession based football , even though our two

triumphs to date were achieved by counter attack. Possession based football ultimately failed last

season where it mattered most - in the big games. The team was tactically situationally inflexible ,

each opponent , regardless of ability approached against with the same style , instead of a more

defensive style in big games- everybody knew how we would play and countered us. At the moment , I

would say there are at least 5 teams with better squads so we will be up against it. I personally

found the counter attacking style more exciting and exhilarating than the often tedious go nowhere interpassing of the possession game.

Edited by riva

City definitely the team to beat. Not sure how they have managed to obtain all these players, compared to say the Mariners it's hardly a level playing field.

Still if it helps the game grow then maybe it's not a bad thing. To beat them we will need to revisit our ACL campaign philosophy. Outgunned but defend well and knick one. The GF would be the perfect occasion to do it. :)

As this isn't first past the post City can win the league by 20 points but they still have to win a one off match.

Advocating a back to the future counter attacking style ? Can't see it happening as Carrasco was

recruited to transform the team from counter attack to possession based football , even though our two

triumphs to date were achieved by counter attack. Possession based football ultimately failed last

season where it mattered most - in the big games. The team was tactically situationally inflexible ,

each opponent , regardless of ability approached against with the same style , instead of a more

defensive style in big games- everybody knew how we would play and countered us. At the moment , I

would say there are at least 5 teams with better squads so we will be up against it. I personally

found the counter attacking style more exciting and exhilarating than the often tedious go nowhere interpassing of the possession game.

It's needs must. If we get to a one off game against a team that proved superior through the regular season it would be madness to take them on head-first. I'd take a win any way we can.

Edited by beatsurrender

It's needs must. If we get to a one off game against a team that proved superior through the regular season it would be madness to take them on head-first. I'd take a win any way we can.

Too late now .....we lost to Adelaide in the grand final remember.

The shock articles in the usual rags, by the usual suspects are dying in the ass. Lazy is the perfect word for it because it's just the same old dribble every time and it can be perfectly predicted before anything would even have the chance to happen.

The staunch anti-soccer brigade have already made up their mind about the game and don't need articles to remind them of their dislike of it and most neutrals are now starting to notice and call out the bias. The audience for these articles is becoming smaller and smaller, it's like the boy who cried wolf.

The thing I find funny is that these articles and reports now can't help but include the tiny ejection stats and statements from police actually praising fans, because their biased agenda isn't enough to fill the story anymore lol

Nothing was going to happen to the Wanderers last week until the media (and that prick Hadley) started making waves on Monday morning.

The FFA need to be stronger, and not bow to these anti Sokkah media types.

In fact, they should call it out for what it is, and not give them a voice at all.

62000 at the game last week, 2 ejections and 1 arrest.

Has there ever been a sporting event that large in Oz with such a great behavioral record? I think not.

The FFA should have got on the front foot, not bend over and take it up the arse from a rugby league shock jock.

makes me laugh when i read a "Flare mares derby" article. thats the go to headline if theres not much else happening. I was watching the game didn't see the flare, did it happen off screen when the ball was down the other end? what minute did it happen?, mustve been early in the game since the northern terrace was still there

The other issue is when they lead the article with this headline, but people seem to have short memories

https://twitter.com/prydzopolis/status/787530654279868416

The stupid misleading headline kills me, they've somehow mixed up unsocial behavior & violence. Somehow the two have been mixed up :nono:

https://twitter.com/weeda27/status/787425414222188544

Nothing was going to happen to the Wanderers last week until the media (and that prick Hadley) started making waves on Monday morning.

In fact, they should call it out for what it is, and not give them a voice at all.

Has there ever been a sporting event that large in Oz with such a great behavioral record? I think not.

The FFA should have got on the front foot, not bend over and take it up the arse from a rugby league shock jock.

I do agree the FFA need to stand up and demand more respect.

Admittedly, whenever flares are involved, the FFA will always have to tread carefully because at the end of the day it is technically an illegal activity occurring at their sanctioned event and they can't be seen to condone it in any way. (I'm not trying to start another flare debate here just to be clear). 

Regardless of what the trouble may be when it happens though, the best way that the FFA can deal with the media is to confidently say that the systems are in place to identify and punish individuals responsible and leave it at that. Short and sweet. Once they start trying to address the hysteria it just feeds into the hands of the media. Confidence is the key.

The other issue is when they lead the article with this headline, but people seem to have short memories

https://twitter.com/prydzopolis/status/787530654279868416

The stupid misleading headline kills me, they've somehow mixed up unsocial behavior & violence. Somehow the two have been mixed up :nono:

https://twitter.com/weeda27/status/787425414222188544

on that topic. check out this comparison

https://www.facebook.com/AllThingsReportedEqually/photos/a.1262827773737329.1073741827.1262816900405083/1262826600404113/?type=3&theater

Edited by wilsonpastore

I do agree the FFA need to stand up and demand more respect.

Admittedly, whenever flares are involved, the FFA will always have to tread carefully because at the end of the day it is technically an illegal activity occurring at their sanctioned event and they can't be seen to condone it in any way. (I'm not trying to start another flare debate here just to be clear). 

Regardless of what the trouble may be when it happens though, the best way that the FFA can deal with the media is to confidently say that the systems are in place to identify and punish individuals responsible and leave it at that. Short and sweet. Once they start trying to address the hysteria it just feeds into the hands of the media. Confidence is the key.

That's what I meant.

You put it more succinctly than me.