Parramatta Stadium To Be Rebuilt!

Can't see safe standing actually happening to be honest. The Eels and the NRL won't sign off on it as it serves no purpose for them in the long run.

Thanks for the feedback too Marron. That's a lot of detail into one, relatively, small stadium, but I can see how I go. Perhaps some pictures of certain stadiums and I can pinch ideas.

I dare say we'll actually end up with something similar to what has already been suggested and already designed. I do hope we have something iconic and unique as well, a statement for the rest of the world. No doubt they'll employ Populous for the project.

In respect to the topic of where to play during construction there aren't many suitable options that will suit everyone. The main focus should be on having a venue that is in a location central to all supports, without ostracising one area over another. It also needs to be able to have a seat for every current member (we don't want to run the risk of losing members, that would be counterproductive when building a bigger stadium to help with growth). We also need something that is easily accessed via public transport and has good parking and has the media/corporate facilities. Unfortunately, only one venue really meets all of those needs and that is ANZ. Penrith, Belmore and Campbelltown just don't have enough seats for ALL of our members and would stagnate growth for the club - it wouldn't make smart business sense. I do understand the draw backs to ANZ in respect to it not being ideal for football and the lack of match day atmosphere, but imagine having regular 20k+ attendances and then convert them into season ticket holders BEFORE you even move into the new venue... makes perfect sense to me. But, that's just one opinion. 

Can't see safe standing actually happening to be honest. The Eels and the NRL won't sign off on it as it serves no purpose for them in the long run.

Thanks for the feedback too Marron. That's a lot of detail into one, relatively, small stadium, but I can see how I go. Perhaps some pictures of certain stadiums and I can pinch ideas.

I dare say we'll actually end up with something similar to what has already been suggested and already designed. I do hope we have something iconic and unique as well, a statement for the rest of the world. No doubt they'll employ Populous for the project.

In respect to the topic of where to play during construction there aren't many suitable options that will suit everyone. The main focus should be on having a venue that is in a location central to all supports, without ostracising one area over another. It also needs to be able to have a seat for every current member (we don't want to run the risk of losing members, that would be counterproductive when building a bigger stadium to help with growth). We also need something that is easily accessed via public transport and has good parking and has the media/corporate facilities. Unfortunately, only one venue really meets all of those needs and that is ANZ. Penrith, Belmore and Campbelltown just don't have enough seats for ALL of our members and would stagnate growth for the club - it wouldn't make smart business sense. I do understand the draw backs to ANZ in respect to it not being ideal for football and the lack of match day atmosphere, but imagine having regular 20k+ attendances and then convert them into season ticket holders BEFORE you even move into the new venue... makes perfect sense to me. But, that's just one opinion.

That's just my wish list :lol:

Populous?

Brogden's Report.

https://sportandrecreation.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Stadia_Strategy_Implementation_Report.pdf

So far the Government has agreed to Pirtek and modified SFS so who knows how much of the rest will be as stated.  Certainly the Government's media release doesn't use the same statements on some projects.

I am so glad they have prioritized the reason why it is being rebuilt.

Construct a new dedicated rectangular stadium in Central Western Sydney with a capacity of 30,000 seats to host Rugby League, Rugby Union, Football matches and concerts to replace the existing Parramatta Stadium.

Brogden's Report.

https://sportandrecreation.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Stadia_Strategy_Implementation_Report.pdf

So far the Government has agreed to Pirtek and modified SFS so who knows how much of the rest will be as stated.  Certainly the Government's media release doesn't use the same statements on some projects.

Construct a new dedicated rectangular stadium in Central Western Sydney with a capacity of 30,000 seats to host Rugby League, Rugby Union, Football matches and concerts to replace the existing Parramatta Stadium.

While I totally agree that the driving force was WSW, it will be great news for Western Sydney to have a modern stadium that can host major concerts. Parramatta used to host some big names, including Paul McCartney - my first ever concert. With the Entertainment Centre being torn down and Allianz to be rebuilt in a lengthy development, there's no reason why Parramatta Stadium 3.0 can't bring some great international acts to Western Sydney.

Brogden's Report.

While I totally agree that the driving force was WSW, it will be great news for Western Sydney to have a modern stadium that can host major concerts. Parramatta used to host some big names, including Paul McCartney - my first ever concert. With the Entertainment Centre being torn down and Allianz to be rebuilt in a lengthy development, there's no reason why Parramatta Stadium 3.0 can't bring some great international acts to Western Sydney.

nek minnit monster trucks the week before the derby

Upgraded Allianz Stadium to become a $500m white elephant for NRL
  • PHIL ROTHFIELD SPORTS EDITOR-AT-LARGE
  • THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH
  • SEPTEMBER 06, 2015 12:00AM
ecoming a $500 million white elephant because eight NRL clubs are refusing to play there.

Only the Sydney Roosters will regularly use the facility for 12 home games while St George Illawarra will commit to only one game — the Anzac Day blockbuster.

The remainder of Sydney’s nine clubs will either remain at their traditional old home grounds, use the new Parramatta Stadium or a refurbished and rectangular ANZ Stadium.

The Sunday Telegraph can also reveal the state government will build a fourth world-class stadium in Penrith once the others have been completed. It is expected to have 30,000 seats.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith is now under fire for lobbying to have the Moore Park stadium built for just one low-drawing rugby league team and, at the same time, giving a free kick to rival code clubs Sydney FC and the Waratahs, who will have more use of the facility than rugby league.

Club bosses say they were not consulted over the plans.

It means the state government is investing $500 million on a venue that will host only 13 NRL premiership games each season — 12 for the Sydney Roosters and one for St George Illawarra.

Despite being funded by the NRL, St George Illawarra CEO Peter Doust says the Dragons will use Moore Park only on Anzac Day and the Sydney Cricket Ground once a year against traditional rivals South Sydney.

Kogarah Oval and Wollongong will continue to get home games while the blockbusters will be heading west to ANZ Stadium.

“Western Sydney is the place to be,†Doust said, “That’s where the market is going. Long term we want to be west rather than east. Western Sydney is the place to be for most brands. Research tells us we are the fourth most popular team in western Sydney.

“The second generation of all the people who used to live in our area have all moved out west.

“It’s all about the right game, the right venue and at the right times.â€

The Cronulla Sharks and Manly Sea Eagles are both committed long term to Remondis Stadium and Brookvale Oval respectively and will continue lobbying the federal and state governments for funding to build local boutique stadiums.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott is Manly’s local member and Scott Morrison is the local member in the Shire and a fanatical Sharks supporters.

“We own our stadium and our strong preference is to continue playing at Remondis,†said Sharks chairman Damian Keogh.

“We’re having our own plans done for renovations of the stadium and getting extended use of the venue. (Possibly a home base for a third Sydney A-League team).

“We’re very close to Scott Morrison and he’s aware of our long term vision. The perfect solution for our club is a 20,000-seat boutique stadium. What would you rather see on TV — 18,000 at Remondis or 15,000 at Allianz or ANZ? It’s a no-brainer for the TV networks and for atmosphere at the ground.â€

The Wests Tigers will use ANZ Stadium, the new Parramatta Stadium, Campbelltown and Leichhardt.

Likely venues for nine Sydney-based clubs 

Roosters – Allianz 12 games

Dragons – Allianz 1, SCG 1, ANZ 4, Kogarah 3, Wollongong 3

Sharks - Remondis 12 games

Sea Eagles - Brookvale 12 games

Rabbitohs – ANZ 10 games, interstate 2 games

Bulldogs – ANZ 10 games, Belmore 2 games

Eels – Parramatta Stadium 12 games

Panthers – Penrith Stadium 11 games, country 1 game

Tigers - ANZ 3, Campbelltown 3, Leichhardt 3, Parramatta 3

Major events 

ANZ - State of Origin, grand final, finals

Allianz - finals

If that story is correct then the NRL has a real issue in communication with its clubs.  In my view anyone who understands the Sydney market knows that although the SFS has some issues it doesn't need increased capacity in fact reduced capacity after fixing its problems would be more appropriate.  I really wonder at Smith, Brogden and Ayres competence to recommend/make decisions on Sydney's stadiums.

It may not financially be the best decision, but I much prefer the idea of boutique stadiums. Kogarah is already great and partnered with the FFA are lobbying for a $60m upgrade. Would it not be a better plan to renovate Allianz and use the remaining funds to be used of upgrades of Kogarah, Belmore, Brookvale and Penrith?

Many in here are not looking forward to being without a home for even 2 seasons. Look at what the Dragons, Tigers and Bulldogs fans have to do. I understand that the Dragons and Tigers are consolidations of 2 clubs each, but I'm sure the fans would much rather just alternate between their 2 merger clubs locations.

I've been of the view all along that the 2012 Stadia Strategy was wrong in that it didn't understand the Sydney market is tribal and sought to impose a modified Melbourne solution on us.  Kogarah and Brookvale should both get $100m but Belmore is a lost cause and Penrith has issues with expansion and the location of major sewers from memory.  With a new Pirtek, a major rework at ANZ, a rework of Allianz and Brookvale and Kogarah most parts of the city are covered.

I was a bit surprised that article said the next 30k stadium was going to Penrith.  The Governments own planning documents have the west having a population of 300k with growth of 100k by 2031 and the south west having 600k with 300k growth by 2031.  Why would you put the stadium in the area that in the medium term will have half the population?

The answer to that question is that its the Minister's electorate or is that being cynical?

Edited by Flytox

I've been of the view all along that the 2012 Stadia Strategy was wrong in that it didn't understand the Sydney market is tribal and sought to impose a modified Melbourne solution on us.  Kogarah and Brookvale should both get $100m but Belmore is a lost cause and Penrith has issues with expansion and the location of major sewers from memory.  With a new Pirtek, a major rework at ANZ, a rework of Allianz and Brookvale and Kogarah most parts of the city are covered.

I was a bit surprised that article said the next 30k stadium was going to Penrith.  The Governments own planning documents have the west having a population of 300k with growth of 100k by 2031 and the south west having 600k with 300k growth by 2031.  Why would you put the stadium in the area that in the medium term will have half the population?

The answer to that question is that its the Minister's electorate or is that being cynical?

Doesn't sound cynical to me. Spending all that money for 1 'franchise' club seems completely irrational.

I really wonder at Smith, Brogden and Ayres competence to recommend/make decisions on Sydney's stadiums.

I couldn't agree more.

I basically said this a few weeks ago and you took me to task, welcome to reality.

I'm not sure why I would have taken you to task on that issue because I've always believed Brogden was the wrong man to write the report, Smith doesn't have a clue about how Sydney works and Ayres is a politician.

I don't understand why the Eels or their fans would be against safe standing

If they don't want to stand up, you can keep the seats all folded down 

simple

It affects them in zero ways, unless they'll whinge about the different seat design than on the sidelines or it being uncomfortable or whatever

The biggest issue would be the Eels spending money on a feature that they don't feel that they'll get value or use. They want the maximum funding dollars on the features they want & WSW woukd need to pull some massive strings to get this feature.  

Okay, so I'm excited to design something that would suit us perfectly... you've seen most of my designs now, but what would we REALLY want build. In terms of the roof type, stand structure, tier setup, outside wrap, quirky features, etc.

I think we will need to factor in maximising corporate facilities as this will be the main priorities of both clubs. I really like what marron has said, steep seating so you're on the action, simple roof (one that won't be so expensive to remove for an upgrade & don't need to go for the AAMI park styled design or excess), the ability to upgrade the stadium easily if needed & single tier for the north end (can you see the Eels agreeing to this? Plus safe standing as a priority.

I've seen people on various forums making comments about what is needed in the stadium.  One regular comment is a single tier safe standing north end.  Calculating the capacity of this assuming uniform loading around the perimeter of the stadium would mean roughly 5,500 seats.  This transfers into about 7,750 standing spots if safe standing is installed without an intermediate step or roughly 9,500 standing spots with an intermediate step.  I think there needs to be some serious and realistic discussion amongst those of you that populate the active support area as to what capacity standing area might be needed and a co-ordinated submission made to the club and/or the Minister.

Does anyone have any ideas how a co-ordinated submission would come about?

What form would the submission take? Is it a Power Point slide? Word Document?

Do we need volunteers to draft it?

Does there need to be a fans representative group to bring it all together? Perhaps a leader to consolidate all the ideas and act as our liaison to the State Govt, the club, architects, etc..

Hi Steve,

I've contacted Ben T from the club & he said that he will try to make this area a priority next week. He replied 7:30 on a Friday night & said that it will be very difficult to get all the features (safe standing, single tier, wanting capacity above 30k etc) we want as what football & RL fans want in a stadium are almost at opposite ends of the spectrum. I stressed to him that it is important that we act as quickly as possible in order to influence the process as much possible as early as possible because if we wait too long it might be too late. I will keep you guys updated as information comes to hand.