The Refereeing Thread

While I don't believe that there is an actual organised conspiracy, I think you'd have to be incredibly naive to argue that Cahill and by extension City don't get favourably treated.

He has been built up as the A-League's golden boy, and is arguably our greatest ever national team player. I think referees are just simply scared to sanction him, in a way that they aren't with people like Borda or O'Donovan. And then that flows on to his team.

Exactly the same thing happened with Del Piero. You couldn't get in to the same postcode as him without it being called a foul.

While I don't believe that there is an actual organised conspiracy, I think you'd have to be incredibly naive to argue that Cahill and by extension City don't get favourably treated.

He has been built up as the A-League's golden boy, and is arguably our greatest ever national team player. I think referees are just simply scared to sanction him, in a way that they aren't with people like Borda or O'Donovan. And then that flows on to his team.

Exactly the same thing happened with Del Piero. You couldn't get in to the same postcode as him without it being called a foul.

i watched the replay of sydney v wellington with del piero playing, and the was a foul in the wellington box - clear as day it was a free kick to the nix - nope, penalty for del piero to take in front of the fanboys.  :bad:

i watched the replay of sydney v wellington with del piero playing, and the was a foul in the wellington box - clear as day it was a free kick to the nix - nope, penalty for del piero to take in front of the fanboys.  :bad:

Can't find the clip, but I love when Mooy absolutely smashed Del Piero in the derby. Until that point everyone in the league had been too scared to get near him.

Later on a one footed studs up lunge that hit the guy in the back of the leg wasn't even given a card.

This is what frustrates me with where we are with refereeing ATM.

Santa waves his hands in the general vicinity of north's head and it's 3 games whilst dangerous tackles only get a free kick or at most a yellow eg Santa vs Adelaide, o'Donovan on Dimas, grant on every player on the park in the derby.

As a player I know which foul I would rather cop. To me the over reaction to any head contact and leniency on lunging tackles is wrong.

Edited by lloydy136

We complain about how many times the referees have screwed us over (and it's a lot) but the Mariners have probably copped it worse than us. They were denied a last minute penalty for handball against us at 1-1, conceded a late winner against the smurfs from Carney's offside goal and now they've had a soft red card at 1-1 and gone on to lose with 10 men. That's at least 4 points and there are probably more cases I can't remember.

i watched the replay of sydney v wellington with del piero playing, and the was a foul in the wellington box - clear as day it was a free kick to the nix - nope, penalty for del piero to take in front of the fanboys. :bad:

Can't find the clip, but I love when Mooy absolutely smashed Del Piero in the derby. Until that point everyone in the league had been too scared to get near him.

Was brilliant, at Allianz he completely nailed him

I remember reading somewhere, can't remember where, but there was a directive given that any contact with the head, by an arm, was to be a send off. That's what the assistant saw I'm guessing. A bit harsh, but to the letter of their instruction, a correct call.

You know how ridiculous that sounds right? So much incidental contact with the head in football, are we going to send off every bit of contact?

After the Borda red, Peacock came out in Twitter saying that the referees have been given a directive for referees to come down with arm/hand contact with face which has also been an area that has been updated in the new LOTG

I remember reading somewhere, can't remember where, but there was a directive given that any contact with the head, by an arm, was to be a send off. That's what the assistant saw I'm guessing. A bit harsh, but to the letter of their instruction, a correct call.

C2hf1kMVEAUOwql.jpg

Deliberately.

Unless force negligible.

If O'Donovan doesn't get off, it's a joke.

Neither deliberate nor force worth talking about. Incorrect application of the instructions.

Edited by TehSmileyBandit

Straight from IFAB on Violent Conduct

VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

C2hf1kMVEAUOwql.jpg

Deliberately.

Unless force negligible.

If O'Donovan doesn't get off, it's a joke.

Neither deliberate nor force worth talking about. Incorrect application of the instructions.

Fair enough. Couldn't remember the exact wording. But, you are correct.

:)

Was basing my comments on the wrong terminology.

In that case, they were wrong. However, given Roy's reputation I can see why the AR saw what he thinks he saw. That said, it shouldn't be taken into account (reputation), but human nature makes us in a way.

That said... update, there was ANOTHER directive given specifically to A-League officials. It was written somewhere, can't recall now though. But, it essentially alluded to the fact that it didn't matter if it was incidental or not.

Edited by Gazmon

Will be interesting to see what filters down to our level at pre season refs meetings over next few weeks.

Seems that the A-League do as they please at the moment. But I've been removed from the inner sanctum for a while. I still do chat with friends that are still involved irregularly though. The FFA seem to do their own thing though. *shrugs*

Gaz - Would be great if specific A-League directives from the referees were actually put out there to all fans of the game & not just the referees/clubs/players.

I remember at the start of the EPL season, numerous articles talking about what referees were clamping down on (shirt pulling in the box, crowding referees, manager behaviour on sideline). In the A-League, these directives seem hush hush. I know I don't know everything about the A-League but if I don't know, then your average mr & Mrs smith will have no idea!

Grant got off easy again today. Horrible tackle on Carrusca and got away with just a yellow. Comes back to what Santa said about referees going all in on the face contact and then ignoring actual dangerous play. They are probably too busy patting themselves on the back for all these off the ball incidents they are catching.

Grant got off easy again today. Horrible tackle on Carrusca and got away with just a yellow. Comes back to what Santa said about referees going all in on the face contact and then ignoring actual dangerous play. They are probably too busy patting themselves on the back for all these off the ball incidents they are catching.

Could have easily been a red and then he continued fouling.

Could have easily been a red and then he continued fouling.
Not could but should have been a straight red

He did exactly the same tackle in the second half right on the goal line but got away with it because his studs missed the players leg. Ignoring his generally grubby fouling it looks like he has a technique problem with his tackling.

Actually should have got a second yellow last week and shouldn't have played this week. But misses out playing the tards with 5 yellows.