Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

Technology should be embraced rather than blindly opposed. Issues brought up in this article are two different issues:

- Glitches in the system which you'd think were eliminated before they were introduced

- The guidelines that the DRS system is being used

One needs to be worked on by the technology developers & the other by the MCC who determine the guidelines of the DRS use...

Hawk-eye is clearly seriously flawed, by now there are so many examples.

However India were only 'right' by accident, in the way that sometimes someone on the right says something I agree with, but for different reasons and with a different motive. The BCCI were only against it a) because of their power trip and b) because Tendulkar didn't like it, imo.

I don't know if we should go back to no technology at all, but this umpire's call nonsense has to go. If it's hitting it's hitting. But since the technology isn't reliable, I think we should go back halfway:...a team has one unsuccessful review per innings, & when they review the third umpire views the replays, without any ball tracking, and makes a decision. You can pretty much tell on a replay whether a ball would have hit or not, before the tracking comes in and confuses things.

Edited by luisenrique

I won't believe the Tests thing till I see it, it's been promised so often. Highly needed though. 

Looks better than the current system...although 3 years is a looong time to maintain interest, especially for the teams who will be out of the running after a year. 

Not sure what the point of keeping a World Cup in addition to this is either.

I won't believe the Tests thing till I see it, it's been promised so often. Highly needed though.

Looks better than the current system...although 3 years is a looong time to maintain interest, especially for the teams who will be out of the running after a year.

Not sure what the point of keeping a World Cup in addition to this is either.

Going forward, I'm increasingly convinced a league style system with pro/rel (yes, I know it's the cricket thread!) is the only way small nations (Ireland, Afghanistan etc) will have the opportunity to access test cricket. For this reason I am a supporter of it. The ODI has legs too, it would help add relevancy to the current glut of nothing matches in that format. Like with all things ICC though, the devil will be in the detail.

The WC is here to stay. Even in an era where ODIs have decreased significantly in popularity, the last WC in Aust/NZ was a huge success by all measures.

Yeah, ODIs definitely need an added relevancy. I mean does anyone at all care about this tri series happening right now? 

You look at a team like Afghanistan and there is clear talent, such an opportunity to add another competitive nation. I don't trust the ICC at all. We only have to look closer to home to see how sports with limited international appeal will  struggle. We need as many competitive test nations as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Good.

I don't think they should limit it to size. The technology will soon work out how to hit a ball too far without the bat being so thick.

They need some way of measuring the ability of a bat to hit balls certain distances, like a measurement of the bat's power. Then all bats have to come under a certain power rating.

Quick question.

When you play/ed cricket, did you get drivers going past scream 'howsat!' at you? Used to happen to me all the time when I played as a kid

All the time, especially when I played in the Nepean district. Some very, very special people ...

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of that idea at all. It means that if the batting team is on top to they are going to have to declare prematurely. And bowling teams will start to defend more, waiting for the declaration. Totally does away with the idea of tests being a true battle.

What is needed is decent pitches. That's it. No ******* roads, and no pitches which are low and slow and encourage boring play. They need a way of testing the bounce and speed of pitches and if they can't meet a set standard then they can't be a test pitch. The pitch is just as important as the bats and balls and yet the only standard they have is safety.

The game is at its best when a pitch is offered up which is a proper battle between bat and ball.

Not a fan of that idea at all. It means that if the batting team is on top to they are going to have to declare prematurely. And bowling teams will start to defend more, waiting for the declaration. Totally does away with the idea of tests being a true battle.

What is needed is decent pitches. That's it. No ******* roads, and no pitches which are low and slow and encourage boring play. They need a way of testing the bounce and speed of pitches and if they can't meet a set standard then they can't be a test pitch. The pitch is just as important as the bats and balls and yet the only standard they have is safety.

The game is at its best when a pitch is offered up which is a proper battle between bat and ball.

Btron, I disagree with your assertion the pitch is just as important as the bat or ball - it is far more important. The proliferation of roads is the biggest problem currently facing test cricket imo.

SL rolled for just 113 on the first day of the test, with Australia playing two spinners. Looks like all bowlers got in on the action. The SL batting line up is a shadow of its former self in the post Sangakkara/Jayawardena era.

SL rolled for just 113 on the first day of the test, with Australia playing two spinners. Looks like all bowlers got in on the action. The SL batting line up is a shadow of its former self in the post Sangakkara/Jayawardena era.

Yeah they looked poor. Still they got two early wickets themselves and Khawaja wasn't exactly in control early. Love it when Smith and Khawaja are batting.

Well maybe they have found one of the replacements! Apparently that Mendis guy went well against England too.

The Aussie bowling to the tail has been atrocious. They just aren't thinking. It's like they think they just have to send it down and one of these guys will get out. I am pretty sure I've said this exact statement on here before but Starc has probably the best yorker in the world and yet he is bouncing the bloke. Then when he goes for the yorker he simply is not concentrating. ******* rubbish.

Wow, great catch! They needed something!

Gonna be an interesting chase.

This is going to be a real tough chase today. Australia haven't batted well so far.

There are a couple of members of the side that still need to prove they aren't just flat track bullies. Warner's performance in this test suggests he is one of them.

So been away this week down in Melbourne and the hotel didn't have the channel so been in the dark in terms of highlights...

Will be really tough today I think, I think it'd be quite a remarkable win if we get up...

And pre season officially started today with an F45 session... Cooked

Edited by danielcarr

This is going to be a real tough chase today. Australia haven't batted well so far.

There are a couple of members of the side that still need to prove they aren't just flat track bullies. Warner's performance in this test suggests he is one of them.

I think Warner has scored SOME runs on difficult wickets. Not a lot. But he's been out of form for ages. If there are any decent openers around his spot really should be in jeopardy.

They threw away a potential big first innings lead, and then bowled poorly to the tail in the second. Chase was always going to be tough. Can only hope for a rearguard and Sri Lanka's nonsense decision to not use lights to come back and bite them.

I think Warner has scored SOME runs on difficult wickets. Not a lot. But he's been out of form for ages. If there are any decent openers around his spot really should be in jeopardy.

They threw away a potential big first innings lead, and then bowled poorly to the tail in the second. Chase was always going to be tough. Can only hope for a rearguard and Sri Lanka's nonsense decision to not use lights to come back and bite them.

Voges could ve thrown into that class too. His average is through the roof due to a million not out runs at home againstan ordinary WI side, but in his time playing OS, he has struggled.

It would be too harsh to categorise Smith as such, like Boycott did in The Ashes, but he is also less effective presently in OS conditions. I feel he is good enough to improve in this area as his career progresses though.

I think the captaincy might be affecting Smith. He's been getting out in ways that look more like concentration or bad decision making rather than class.

I am also not a big fan of his captaincy so far. It pains me to say this because I loved the guy even when he was a lower order player who rolled the arm over, as he seemed to have a knack for making an impact, whether jagging a wicket, taking a screamer, getting runs etc. But I think his captaincy is a little bland, he looks like a guy who has been brought up in the limited overs era - getting defensive etc.