Redmayne Hands Jets Point

He said the wall wasn't setup properly. Who sets up the wall? The keeper.

BTW there's a few guys on twitter saying Redmayne told Nichols to keep moving right (despite Nichols not wanting to), and the ball went right where the last player was standing before Redmayne moved them. Might be BS. Will need to look at replay.

Bozza thinks the equaliser was the players fault...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/media-watch-hooles-goal-shouldnt-have-happened-keoghs-form-fornaroli-needs-no-one/news-story/32b93209e6b1220d9dc7a2ba3050bccb[/quote

I watched Shootout after getting home. Bozza blamed Redmayne for the 2nd goal, not the other players

Yes he means Redmayne. The goalkeeper is the one who is responsible for setting up the wall.

Hamill proved in 5 minutes that he is an NPL player and nothing more, Redmayne quite simply isn't good enough and never has been. Especially when there are other quality keepers out there. Enough is enough. He's had a season and a bit and he's still bottling it, time to change.

What other quality keepers do you have in mind ?

He said the wall wasn't setup properly. Who sets up the wall? The keeper.BTW there's a few guys on twitter saying Redmayne told Nichols to keep moving right (despite Nichols not wanting to), and the ball went right where the last player was standing before Redmayne moved them. Might be BS. Will need to look at replay.

Just watching Replay now not conclusive , but redmayne looks like he's set when the kick is taken

BTW there's a few guys on twitter saying Redmayne told Nichols to keep moving right (despite Nichols not wanting to), and the ball went right where the last player was standing before Redmayne moved them. Might be BS. Will need to look at replay.

Just checked. He was pushing them further out to his left to block that angle. He didn't push them far enough!

The only weird thing that happened was that Martinez was standing kind of next to the wall on that side, then moves across to mark someone just before it's taken. If you look at Redmayne just after that point, he is scratching his head. He doesn't seem confident or focused at all. Not sure if he wanted Martinez to stay there, or what. 

Whatever the issue was, it's totally Redmayne's fault. And it supports the observations of some that he simply doesn't have command of his area or his defenders.

Please don't defend that pathetic goal keeping performance and offer him any excuses. A 5 year old could have saved it. Redmayne has to be punished and put on splinter boards, he's not even good enough for the recaro bucket seat bench.

I get what you're saying Prydz, the blame is a collective one for taking our foot off the gas and not putting the game to bed. However, there are very few teams around the world who play perfectly every time...realistically we're not going to boss games for 90 minutes. Yes keepers get blamed more cos their errors are more obvious, but that's the life they've chosen. For all our dropping of intensity, we still should have won that game if not for two calamitous errors. It would be ok if it was a one off but it happens so often that we need to admit that it's a major problem. I thought after last week that it wasn't but I was wrong.

I don't think the players in front of him have confidence in Redmayne and that's a huge issue. They're under pressure to make sure they score a bunch of goals because they know there's always a couple of howlers waiting to cancel out any goals they score. Not a healthy situation.

It's a shame cos the first half was one of the best we've played in a long time.

Unfortunately that's the risk you take when you hire the two cheapest keepers in the league. You'd drop Redmayne at the drop of the hat if you have any confidence in your number 2.

100% agree on the confidence between the keeper & his back four. At an all time low.

Also I'm less inclined to blame Redmayne for the second goal. Wasn't the best free kick in terms pace but accurate however 1) He gave away the free kick but I think he made the right decision to challenge 2) Redmayne would have seen it late as it was quite close 3) Even though he actually got there, was a fraction of a section slow to get enough behind it 4) A better goal keeper would have saved it but we know that Redmayne isn't in the top 3-5 keepers of the league.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that you'd expect a top keeper to save that, but we know whether on % of salary cap or performance wise he isn't the best in the league.

Realistically and with the recruits we have purchased to fill in at defence, I dont expect us to finish any higher than 6th. We are a 6 - 8th side. I know its early days but we do not have the same quality starting 11 as easts, city, perth, victory. A couple of injuries to key players up front and we are Farked. To think we once had a beauchamp/topor Spiranovic/topor Rock solid centre back pairing. Our defence was torn to shreds towards the end of the match with massive holes being found. Unfortunatley besides Jumpei the rest of our recruits are not as good as what we lost.

Martinez is better than anyone we lost, and Clisby so far has been at least as good as Jamo. Also think Borda will be decent enough with time, was pretty good today.

Nico will be great and love Clisby's enthusiasm and energy, he makes a nuisance of himself and offers quite a bit going forward actually, Borda showed flashes of what he can be and Jumpei is looking excellent, just a bit more composure from him in the box and he will be the finished article. Jumpei looked gutted at the end when he was being handed the man of the matching thing, totally pished off with it all.

I was expecting Bulut to rip the ball from Dimas and smash the penna home. I get why Dimas took it and good on him for doing so, but Bulut needs a goal from anywhere to get hom on his way, a penna in front of the RBB, first home game, a chance to get on his way and I was expecting him to do it, but know these things are pre planned. On Dimas, penna aside he had an ok game as captain, but in second half he went missing when we lost our shape, we needed a bit of experience and an experienced captain out there to hold it together, but he will grow in to the role.

Redmayne was left exposed a good few times in the second half and he alone is not to blame, but he should never have been beaten at his near post like that and the way he rushed out was not entirely necessary in my opinion.

Over all some good signs in relation to link up play between Jumpei and Nichols and some good counter attacking. But it is a worry how we fell away in the second half, we had the Jets well and truly on the ropes, they were done for, 2 points thrown away rather than 1 won.

Edited by WSWBoro

Realistically and with the recruits we have purchased to fill in at defence, I dont expect us to finish any higher than 6th. We are a 6 - 8th side. I know its early days but we do not have the same quality starting 11 as easts, city, perth, victory. A couple of injuries to key players up front and we are Farked. To think we once had a beauchamp/topor Spiranovic/topor Rock solid centre back pairing. Our defence was torn to shreds towards the end of the match with massive holes being found. Unfortunatley besides Jumpei the rest of our recruits are not as good as what we lost.

Pretty sure that any a-league team that suffers injuries to key players is farked .

Don't know how you can judge the defence after 2-3 games together you must be a football genius or very pessimistic .

Yes we know redmayne is not fantastic but he was serviceable last year with minimal clangers.

Let's give Clisby , Cornflakes, Borda and Neville 5 or 6 more games together before we hit the panic stations .

If Jumpei had scored at 60mins to make it 3-0 some would be saying we are favourites for the title .

I'd take Nichols , jumei and Martinez over any 3 attacking midfielders in the league .

Dimas and Baccus are looking good ( haven't seen enough of piñatares )

Hopefully Bulut or Scott will score goals and we have the best sub in the league Santalab

Our subs Sotirio Lustica Cole and Aspro are as good as we have had in 5 years .

We don't have any backup Left or Right backs but apart from Elrich we never have .

Watch how the defence dont mark up and leave holes all over the shop at the back. We look fragile when the opposition get in behind us. That is basic defending and should not have to gel. Mark your players. Compare our defensive recruits to the esfc recruits and they have conceeded 0 goals in 3 games to our 7 goals. Enough said really. Bar a lucky last minute controversial win against adelaide we would be on 1 point after 3 games. Last years team with a marquee striker would have been sufficient enough to win the league. So it is what it is. Unfortunately with the high turnover of players we dont have that consistency to build on. Wish we could keep a team together for a bit longer.

Edited by wsw2154

I don't think you can say this team is worse than last years. Last years team also leaked goals. I think we need a bit more time for them to gel. I don't know why we are always so unfit at the beginning of the season, while other teams like ESFC and Perth are so fit.

But in the long term to do well we need a reliable, steady keeper and top class striker. Redmayne for all the good things he does is so amateurish in some other basic aspects.I don't know if it can be coached into him at this stage. Bulut needs to stop running around like a kid who has just been given some Red Bull. Stay in your position, and try to peel off your man or make runs behind the defence. Use your head, not just your feet. He needs to watch videos of Keogh from Perth and see what a good striker does and how he positions himself.

There is another question to ask.

what happened to the dominance in the fisrt part of the second half. Redmayne would not have under pressure if the centre backs were more mobile.

once Clut was replaced by Nordstrand the tide turned and the lack of pace of Cornthwaite and Borda was shown.

Last week the combination of Aspro and Cornthwaite despite giving up the goal to Henrique

There are some marking issues with our central defenders, but I think this might have to do with match fitness. They've shown in large parts of the last two games that they can defend. Just have to get it right for 90 mins. Borda, Cornthwaite and Aspro have the ability to get it right if they are match hardened and develop a combo. The bigger issue is problems in the team which can't be fixed.

I think Mitch's form is already ahead of his great year last year, once he, Nico and Jumpei gel there will be no better combo...Clisby , Cornflakes, Borda and Neville are getting better, I wouldn't hit the reset just yet.

He needs better service, but Bulut's attitude seems right on - his relationship with Santa, and the team in general looks really good...I just hope he doesn't get frustrated too early

Redders....I dunno, it seemed like he was getting himself under control and had some fine saves this year already...then this. Maybe putting Tyson in is the kick in the arse he needs? Still not sold on Lustica...but with Jumpei and Nico, its easy to get forgotten

To surrender that lead, after dominating is total bullshit - they need to bring it against the Mariners

I think its very easy to dump this result on Redmayne's head - he did cost us three points in conceding that free kick but the team as a whole turned off after the 60th minute thinking they had it in the bag against the Jets. 

This is one of those games that I feel later in the season - we wish we got the win for as it would have put us in better position when we truly need it. 

Disappointing result but in the broader scheme of things it was a big improvement. Our midfield looked well drilled and we suffocated them for most of the game. We lack a final ball into Bulut in space and Lustica makes little impact.

We shouldn't fear any team at the moment, even though ESFC are on top they scraped an ugly win against Wellington, City are shareable, Victory aren't bedded down, nor Perth, Roar are struggling to execute and Adelaide can't finish. A win would have meant our best start ever so in the grand scheme of things let's be optimistic.

im normally pro redmayne and think he is the scape goat most the time for a **** defense, BUT yesterday was poor cant defend that he cost us the game with 3 horrendous mistakes. If we bring a keeper in it has to be a keeper that can play sweeper keeper well, redmaynes biggest issue is he can not comfortably play sweeper keeper and our style relies heavily on a keeper with good ball skill ad distribution, unfortunately even tyson will struggle with that role.. 

P.S lol@ hoole acting like a tough ****...step over the barrier then champ, why stop at the signage if he was so hard he would have jump the sign and got a litle closer lol

#smallmansyndrome

im normally pro redmayne and think he is the scape goat most the time for a **** defense, BUT yesterday was poor cant defend that he cost us the game with 3 horrendous mistakes. If we bring a keeper in it has to be a keeper that can play sweeper keeper well, redmaynes biggest issue is he can not comfortably play sweeper keeper and our style relies heavily on a keeper with good ball skill ad distribution, unfortunately even tyson will struggle with that role.. 

P.S lol@ hoole acting like a tough ****...step over the barrier then champ, why stop at the signage if he was so hard he would have jump the sign and got a litle closer lol

#smallmansyndrome

Redmayne has made a number of good reflex saves in his time with us, but has shown time and again that he does not have the spatial awareness that makes a genuine keeper. His positioning is appalling, and his lack of command of his area makes every ball in a lottery.

Ante used to win games for us because he had all the positive attributes, and many of the same howlers we're seeing from today's defensive line were in evidence back then - just masked by his capability.

Stick up for Redmayne because he's part of the squad and doing his best, but acknowledge that he is not a reliable keeper and way past redemption.

Thought similar about ref, 2nd goal started from break on halfway which looked like a foul

They kicked Bulut over all game and he basically got nothing, although his yellow card tackle was funny

You could see his yellow coming from the moment he ran across the pitch.  As he was running I was thinking yellow or red.  He's was going to nail their right back no matter what.

But yeah like above Jumpei got smashed a number of times for no foul and most of their tackles from behind went unpunished.  I think I lost count of the times when Beath let advantage happen when there was none yet pull it back when clearly play should have continued.  And that was for both sides.  

BTW,, I'll have to give credit to Newcastle's defence, We were totally dominating them over the park and when we get in attacking positions, they get in good position to block the shots and able to win balls off us.

Just checked. He was pushing them further out to his left to block that angle. He didn't push them far enough!

The only weird thing that happened was that Martinez was standing kind of next to the wall on that side, then moves across to mark someone just before it's taken. If you look at Redmayne just after that point, he is scratching his head. He doesn't seem confident or focused at all. Not sure if he wanted Martinez to stay there, or what. 

Whatever the issue was, it's totally Redmayne's fault. And it supports the observations of some that he simply doesn't have command of his area or his defenders.

Redamyne should have pushed the wall more to the left to cover that near post and just looking at the wall setup, you knew where Hoole the **** was going to place it.

Redmayne won't be dropped for next week, bookmark it. I get the Popa is loyal to players but last night was a joke.

Tyson In please......

You know... I am starting to see a lot of similarities between Popa and Des Hasler, they are both as stubborn as each other, they are inflexible with their tactics and regardless how **** the player plays, they show loyalty to them to play them again next week..

So yes expect Redmayne starting next week against the Mariners