Relegation tears

Twice also for me... not quite the same though, I dare say. First was worst, nowhere to watch the championship at all back then.

Rayo, who I'm fond of and watch when I get a chance, are looking a bit dicey at the moment though.

I have two going down the relegation drain this season. I can bear NUFC because we've gone under and come back before, but Mostar going under hurts because a major team from the once formidable Yugoslav league will be playing in the dregs of the Bosnian league next season.

Was watching ABC news this morning ('leftie', 'marxist', etc...), and they talked about the Man U - Aston Villa game...the guy was talking about Villa's relegation and said something like 'a bad day for Villa fans...although there probably aren't many left at the moment'.

Classic Aussie sports mentality, and something that will be a problem for most clubs if we ever have relegation...most 'fans' aren't going to follow a team once they go down. 

Was watching ABC news this morning ('leftie', 'marxist', etc...), and they talked about the Man U - Aston Villa game...the guy was talking about Villa's relegation and said something like 'a bad day for Villa fans...although there probably aren't many left at the moment'.

Classic Aussie sports mentality, and something that will be a problem for most clubs if we ever have relegation...most 'fans' aren't going to follow a team once they go down.

Had a conversation about this yesterday. They said a similar comment.

I explained that the mentality is different in Europe. That people in Europe have followed these clubs all their lives, just like their father and grandfather did before them. Said that they'd still follow their even if they got relegated to the 3rd tier.

They didn't get it

It always irks me when someone asks 'Which EPL team do you follow' and has a look of total surprise when I say I don't. I then have to explain carefully that Forest were kings of Europe twice but have fallen upon harder times.

As a Spurs supporter I can't remember Spurs being anywhere but the top tier competition. They actually have the longest history of any club in the top flight competition....

....BUT,,,,

...In my lifetime I have never seen Spurs win a League Title neither with their last title win in 1961. Needless to say that watching Leicester each week is making my tears saltier each and every week as the season comes to a close and then just to prolong my pain they go and draw last night with London rivals West Ham....  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

At least spurs are in with a chance of finally winning their mini-tournament with Arsenal though.

The last time Tottenham finished above Arsenal was in the 1995 season so it'll be some comfort to supporters to finally be above them in the league

I was pretty hesitant at opening this thread, expecting to see Villa fans all over it. But then I saw that last picture, smiled and for a few seconds all was right with the world.

You guys can have a derby again. Edited by Portillo

It always irks me when someone asks 'Which EPL team do you follow' and has a look of total surprise when I say I don't. I then have to explain carefully that Forest were kings of Europe twice but have fallen upon harder times.

seen the doco mate?? absolute scenes...not a Forrest fan but was one of my favourite moments in football history 

Edited by wswanderersfc

At least spurs are in with a chance of finally winning their mini-tournament with Arsenal though.

The last time Tottenham finished above Arsenal was in the 1995 season so it'll be some comfort to supporters to finally be above them in the league

Finally the end of St Totteringham's day. Ohh the shame for all the Gooners out there. Hahaha

As a Spurs supporter I can't remember Spurs being anywhere but the top tier competition. They actually have the longest history of any club in the top flight competition....

....BUT,,,,

...In my lifetime I have never seen Spurs win a League Title neither with their last title win in 1961. Needless to say that watching Leicester each week is making my tears saltier each and every week as the season comes to a close and then just to prolong my pain they go and draw last night with London rivals West Ham....  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Spurs were relegated in the late 70s but came straight back up. I think that only Arsenal, Everton, and Liverpool have been in the top flight consistently for the past 50 years

167112_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.jpg

Leeds go down in 2004.

This picture reminds me how appalling thst hair cut was. I had forgotten.

Have been there. Twice.

Which relegation was more painful? The one from the Premier League, or the ignigomy of being relegated to League One from the Championship?

Been there many many times with the Boro, many heart breaking final day of the season relegations, twice at Sheffield Wednesday and the one at Leeds in 1997 was especially painful as we lost 2 cup finals and were relegated that year!

First relegation game I was at was at Shrewsbury town in May 1986. Went hopeful of a last day miracle but it all went very mid 80's very quickly. So called Boro fans went on the rampage around the ground, set things on fire, multiple pitch invasions and lots of bother around the town. Dark times, my old man took me away at half time and we went home early.

Edited by WSWBoro

167112_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.jpg

Leeds go down in 2004.

This picture reminds me how appalling thst hair cut was. I had forgotten.

Have been there. Twice.

Which relegation was more painful? The one from the Premier League, or the ignigomy of being relegated to League One from the Championship?

I looked like the photos in the first post in this thread when Leeds went down to the champ in 2004 - I was too young to remember the last relegation (82 I think - my memories of following them start from early 90s Howard Wilkinson teams with speed/strachan/batty/mcallister etc) so it was a hammer blow to go down when they had been in div 1 for the whole time I'd supported them.

The relegation to league one just made me angry. Bates was running the place into the ground by this point (2nd trip into admin) and carrying like the fully fledged ****wit he is in the process.

Speaking of Alan Smith - not quite in the kewell level of hatred but he is roundly disliked by Leeds fans after his 'kiss the badge and cry, then sign for man u the next day' efforts at the end of the 04 relegation season. Even had his house vandalised.

Tldr: the first one was worse.

Too mean nmh94.

Too mean

Haha I was genuinely interested!

Lloydy's answer was what I expected - it was such a big and sudden decline from Champions League semis not long before.

Leeds should be a cautionary warning for Villa - I assumed Leeds would be back up pretty quickly after being relegated. It hasn't happened. As others have noted, jumping straight back up can be a difficult thing, though Newcastle seem to manage it when they go down.