Football Media Discussion

As much as it sucks for the NT, if that was the choice with us as in the RBB, I'd walk as well. 

A friend asked me why aren't we protesting this too, like we did when we were working together with the walkouts last season. But it's not about all of us, it's the NT that are the subject of this and they have to deal with it themselves in their own way.

I've always always always said and I stand by this, that if/when the flares stopped then something else would be seen as the main cause for shitting on us. Flares gone? No jumping. Jumping stopped? No standing etc etc. and they will find something to pick on.

I feel for the NT and its members. Imagine having your card checked walking in/out of the bays, being told to stay in your allocated seat. **** that.

imagine being at the front of the bay and walking past 20-odd policemen in riot gear just to go to the toilet. how ****in hostile would that feel.

Remember when they trotted out the riot police onto the field at half time one game? Did they assume we were going to spontaneously conduct a pitch invasion to join in with the kiddies playing mini games?

Intimidation was their sole purpose.

To be honest, thinking about the above two scenarios, I'm surprised it didn't kick off. All it takes is one bloke pissed and pissed up to tell them to **** off and you could have a wrestling match on.

Agree with nicknova, they will find something to crack down on. I always use cricket as an example. First it was no booze from outside, then no full strength, then no throwing rubber balls around between innings, then no beach balls, then no beer snakes. The authorities always need to justify their existence.

This has confirmed it for me - I don't want commercial stations involved. I'd rather the game not grow than sell out to the mainstream so that more money comes into the game in some bizarre hope we will ever beat Germany, Brasil, Spain, Argentina in a World Cup.

This is the thing, I actually understand what he is saying about manufactured. Everything about this Yoshi bullshit screams plastic bullshit but something feels different about our club & community. Yes we are a product of modern football, created in FFA's boardroom blah blah blah but is this really what we have to do to grow our sport? How depressing.

At the same time I am laughing hysterically about how much of a joke this is, a boy from western Sydney supporting a club down in Melbourne. It is just so wrong, they could have done a Yoshi for every state or taken a different path & infact I would have been more comfortable with him picking Easts over that bunch but no. The FFA have plunged $3m of money they don't have into Cahill's pockets & need to get a return on there investment. The decision to host the FFA final in Melbourne makes even more sense now & having all the City games on FTA so the Yoshi generation can watch Melbourne Vision. The metrics must be going crazy, look everyone is talking about Yoshi, unfortunately we are all taking the the piss how much of a joke it has all become!

Instead of talking about how Yoshi turns up for his team every week, it will be about Yoshi who lives in the battling western suburbs of Sydney, can't afford to travel to travel to Melbourne to watch city regularly let alone afford Foxtel to watch the A-League. Grows up expecting marquee after marquee to stimulate his excitement in the game, loses interest & becomes a Eurosnob. What a great marketing campaign this turned out to be :nono:

Yoshi's going to cut a lonely figure in the away section at Spotless in a few weeks !!

As much as it sucks for the NT, if that was the choice with us as in the RBB, I'd walk as well. 

A friend asked me why aren't we protesting this too, like we did when we were working together with the walkouts last season. But it's not about all of us, it's the NT that are the subject of this and they have to deal with it themselves in their own way.

I've always always always said and I stand by this, that if/when the flares stopped then something else would be seen as the main cause for shitting on us. Flares gone? No jumping. Jumping stopped? No standing etc etc. and they will find something to pick on.

I feel for the NT and its members. Imagine having your card checked walking in/out of the bays, being told to stay in your allocated seat. **** that.

And yet we're hearing that cards aren't going to be checked this saturday to move between the bays.

Its all about dialogue and communication between the parties. And I think the RBB are in constant dialogue with the club to sort through things.

If they are on the same page, then they can both present their case to the Police and/or FFA.

Once communications break down, then its just a pi$$ing contest on Social Media.

And yet we're hearing that cards aren't going to be checked this saturday to move between the bays.

Its all about dialogue and communication between the parties. And I think the RBB are in constant dialogue with the club to sort through things.

If they are on the same page, then they can both present their case to the Police and/or FFA.

Once communications break down, then its just a pi$$ing contest on Social Media.

Agree 100%. I empathise with what they go through because I think the police down there are a lot more hardline. At the same time, the fact they regularly end posts with: OUR WAY! I think says a lot too...

Granted that they come across like they're demanding certain things, but from what we know they've always have had issues with cops and club.

We seem to be good for now with our lot, but there are always certain issues that are agreed on and then denied last minute. This is the issue that would cause dramas, going back on an agreement.

Yoshi was a campaign aimed at young kids. If you are not a child, and you didn't find it interesting, then it's probably not that big a deal.

Stop talking sense plz. We want to rant.

Yoshi was a campaign aimed at young kids. If you are not a child, and you didn't find it interesting, then it's probably not that big a deal.

There aren't that many people arguing they didn't find it interesting. Just because it's aimed at kids doesn't mean that adults have to agree with what they did and how they did it. 

Agree 100%. I empathise with what they go through because I think the police down there are a lot more hardline. At the same time, the fact they regularly end posts with: OUR WAY! I think says a lot too...

I think we are quite fortunate in the timing of our clubs (and hence our active support groups) inclusion in the league.

The police down there seem hardened and determined. The club has also been swayed to support the police view, whether the NT caused that or it's just that the MVFC administration feel they have the fire power to play hardball.

Our club "seems" to be more willing to communicate, and appreciate the RBB. Why that is probably has way more to do with the RBB leadership than the club itself, but the club still communicates nonetheless. Hopefully we (the club and supporters together) can find happy ground and defend each other - barring actual violence. Its sad that the NT and MVFC just don't work, for whatever reasons, as they were on a great thing.

Nek minute they'll have digital boards around stadiums with words for chants so they can manufacture atmosphere

Just recently NT ran out of their stand to attack South Melb fans in their FFA cup game. Lot of the Souths fans were just normal fans out for a bit of mid week football.

Now NT are facing more restrictions and decided to throw it in because it's all too hard.

No sympathy for them. Their constant whinging about this development without even mentioning the full context is plain embarrassing.

Real fans support their club always.

There aren't that many people arguing they didn't find it interesting. Just because it's aimed at kids doesn't mean that adults have to agree with what they did and how they did it.

Target will be releasing catalogues soon aimed st kids, featuring images of santa. Will you complain that you don't agree because santa is not real?

Just recently NT ran out of their stand to attack South Melb fans in their FFA cup game. Lot of the Souths fans were just normal fans out for a bit of mid week football.

Now NT are facing more restrictions and decided to throw it in because it's all too hard.

No sympathy for them. Their constant whinging about this development without even mentioning the full context is plain embarrassing.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i love when people throw around the REAL FAN term, like they own it or they know what a real fan is, what you perceive as a real fan and what i do are two completely different things melons, there are bad apples in the nt as are every were but please dont let your ignorance get in the way of the facts, the way they have been treated is not right and innocent REAL FANs (well maybe real fans i dont know i suppose we will have to check with you from now on what a real fan is) where being punished, these guys have given there everything for that club and it is walking all over them now it is strong enough to stand with out them...but in the begging it was nothing without them, they have been used and abused.

P.s they never said they were not going to support their club they just said co-ordinated active support will no longer be organised by them.

If I could like this twice I would...

A better point is that you can have all sorts of real fans at the same event. Wanderers have proven it. I have kids and have always felt the matches to be 'family friendly', we also march with RBB and sit as close as we can because we enjoy the energy they bring and I encourage the kids to chant and sing along. I took the kids to the collector for the boycott!

The false separation of active and non active is a corporate ruse and if the suits have their way, they'd white wash the cultures of the clubs to appeal to a market which only exists in their minds. Gee, the fact that clubs in this league even have cultures is a by product of the organic expression of fans in spite of the suits, metrics, focus groups and ratings chasing.

Yes the Yoshi campaign is cringeworthy but it's not aimed at rusted on fanatics like us.
It's to try and attract the future fan. The kids playing the game but wearing ManU shirts with no HAL interest. The kids playing FIFA.
Even if just a few get into the match day experience and stick around they'll soon forget Yoshi and become immersed in the best sport on the planet.

Edited by beatsurrender

Target will be releasing catalogues soon aimed st kids, featuring images of santa. Will you complain that you don't agree because santa is not real?

So no adult can comment on anything related to kids, on its success or not? Hmmmm

I could have sworn that it was adults that came up with the Target catalogues and Yoshi campaign. But I must be wrong, it has to be kids talking to kids because adults are incapable of understanding or critiquing anything related to kids, so they wouldn't be able to come up with these campaigns either. I really must check out these kids who are developing the Target catalogue and the Yoshi marketing campaign, they must be pretty bright for ones so young!

Anyway, I stated my opinion in the marketing thread, I'm not going to go over it again only to be given nonsensical comparisons with ******* Target catalogues.

Ah good the first 'real fan' post of the new season.

Yes the Yoshi campaign is cringeworthy but it's not aimed at rusted on fanatics like us.

It's to try and attract the future fan. The kids playing the game but wearing ManU shirts with no HAL interest. The kids playing FIFA.

Even if just a few get into the match day experience and stick around they'll soon forget Yoshi and become immersed in the best sport on the planet.

the term cringe-worthy is cringe-worthy

So no adult can comment on anything related to kids, on its success or not? Hmmmm

I could have sworn that it was adults that came up with the Target catalogues and Yoshi campaign. But I must be wrong, it has to be kids talking to kids because adults are incapable of understanding or critiquing anything related to kids, so they wouldn't be able to come up with these campaigns either. I really must check out these kids who are developing the Target catalogue and the Yoshi marketing campaign, they must be pretty bright for ones so young!

Anyway, I stated my opinion in the marketing thread, I'm not going to go over it again only to be given nonsensical comparisons with ******* Target catalogues.

If you don't like the campaign personally fair enough, but According to FFA Comms people it was one of the most successful to date in generating interest amongst the target audience.

So if I read people say they don't agree because its plastic or that Yoshi picked city because of Cahill therefore the campaign was not a good one, I would like to be able argue that it was good given the facts.

Ah good the first 'real fan' post of the new season.

First!

Btw I like how everyone cherry picks the last sentence, ignoring remainder of my post :)

But carry on....

Edited by MajorMelons

It'll always be "a pi$$ing contest". 

Love you guys.... you're all so earnest!    :grouphug:

Yoshi is probably about as real as these two!

Cynical 20-40yo diehard  football supporters weren't the target audience of the Yoshi campaign.

Remains to be seen whether the ad was effective.... but it certainly has had people talking about it.  ;)

He's as real as Milli-Vanilli.

Caught the 7 news sports bulletin and it shows how far football still has to go. Despite our season being in full swing there was not even a mention yet 2-3 rugby league 'colour' stories not related to any upcoming games and then a promotion of the RL World Cup. its only a year away apparently!