Parramatta Stadium To Be Rebuilt!

ok cool.

Love when you throw out new designs.

Yeah as I said I like stadiums that aren't symmetrical, so i reckon having one end wrap and one not is cool. Having the RBB end wrap around (can you wrap a single tier onto a double??) would be good, then the atmosphere kind of spills more easily into the non-active areas.

Other ideas

- wrap (connect) the right hand side of RBB, leaving the east side open to the street as an entryway. If they do what they were talking about at one point and scrap the carpark, that gap could open out to a cool outdoor area (similar to Levi Stadium, home of San Fran 49ers

http://www.cidentertainment.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/design2.jpg

Imagine marching into that!

- the kids end smaller and opens to a concourse as you said earlier

- give the away fans their own section cut off from the rest of us - like Seattle's Centuryk Link Field, but not in the middle

man if I knew how to fool around with those programs you use I'd never get anything else done!

Managed to get it to around 27,000... will need to actually put seats in to get an exact number. Can increase it to about 28,500 with a 2 tiered RBB - but that defeats the purpose.

This is a rough idea of how it looks with a 2-tiered southern stand and mock roof style.

12314394_10153903603977518_2834160655289

By the way, this just fits on the current plot. Can be bigger to get to 30k, but either need to fill in the corners of exceed the boundaries.

Love it mate! (And not just because it reminds me a little bit of Anfield......)

Single tier home active end sets us apart from the rest of the stadium, so that's a must, and a roof to contain and echo the noise would be great. I'm just really keen for the specifics and constraints of the design limits to emerge because that will be key in defining what type of structure we could build.

Nice work!

I'm kinda liking the strange stand shapes and open sections in newer builds in the US (US Bank Stadium & Mercedes Bank Stadium), but on a smaller scale.

What about a retractable roof?

Whilst reading all the articles in the Herald yesterday I came across a little piece when they had comments from the Bulldogs CEO about stadiums. She basically said that the trend in new stadiums was towards WIFI, Corporate facilities and "In seat entertainment". WTF? Is this what watching sport has come to in this country?

Whilst reading all the articles in the Herald yesterday I came across a little piece when they had comments from the Bulldogs CEO about stadiums. She basically said that the trend in new stadiums was towards WIFI, Corporate facilities and "In seat entertainment". WTF? Is this what watching sport has come to in this country?

If you need all that you may as well stay at home.

I want beer, and atmosphere. That's it. Oh......and a game to watch.

As a stadium nerd, I couldn't agree more.  IMO There's a strong economic argument that by going down the comfortable amenities route instead of the good atmosphere route then you'll ultimately fail.  Wifi, in-chair TVs, comfortable seats are all things people get at home.  So you need to offer what people can't get at home.  And that's the sound and fury of the home end and rocking stadium.  TV can't capture that and the people at home should always know they're getting an inferior version of what the people at the ground are getting.  If stadium designs and amenities coax the crowd into being comfy they'll become passive, and that's when stadiums stop selling what makes them better.

Mind you, they're not actually mutually exclusive, but any stadium designer or operator that doesn't prioritise atmospherics is making a serious mistake.  They need to design in standing areas, low roofs for acoustics and to make sure the crowd isn't distracted from focussing on the game by toys.

Case in point, Cowboys Stadium in Texas.  It's flash as ****.  Has all the mod cons but the feedback from average, non-rich fans is that the atmosphere is poor, the experience is too expensive and so it's not necessarily worth a repeat visit after you've been once.  Now in Australia, none of our clubs have the enormous deep fanbase that the cowboys have so we can't afford fans being indifferent to repeat visits. 

We need people to become addicted.  And the only thing that causes addiction is atmosphere.  Everything else can be got on the telly.

Hey Gazmon, couple of questions:

1. What is the issue with filling the corners?

2. If the current site makes it difficult to get a 30k seater, what are the things limiting the site and what do you think they will need to do eg remove carpark etc?

1. I like the open nature of having them empty. Just trying something different rather than a standard bowl design.

2. You can fit one in, I've done it. But, you need a basic (boring) design. You could, in theory, extend into the park or carparks. For the moment though, we don't know what they'll allow.

Didn't Para Park trust say from day one they will not be giving up any land their way at all and it's not negotiable?

Hey Gazmon, couple of questions:

1. What is the issue with filling the corners?

2. If the current site makes it difficult to get a 30k seater, what are the things limiting the site and what do you think they will need to do eg remove carpark etc?

1. I like the open nature of having them empty. Just trying something different rather than a standard bowl design.

2. You can fit one in, I've done it. But, you need a basic (boring) design. You could, in theory, extend into the park or carparks. For the moment though, we don't know what they'll allow.

Didn't Para Park trust say from day one they will not be giving up any land their way at all and it's not negotiable?

Sounds about right to me.

I don't want to hear about tram lines to Homebush from the State Govt.

I want to hear about an upgrade to Pirtek.

In the meantime.........I hope Flytox is ok. He's a good man.

I worry about not hearing from him.

Did something happen to Flytox?  :sorry:

As a stadium nerd, I couldn't agree more. IMO There's a strong economic argument that by going down the comfortable amenities route instead of the good atmosphere route then you'll ultimately fail. Wifi, in-chair TVs, comfortable seats are all things people get at home. So you need to offer what people can't get at home. And that's the sound and fury of the home end and rocking stadium. TV can't capture that and the people at home should always know they're getting an inferior version of what the people at the ground are getting. If stadium designs and amenities coax the crowd into being comfy they'll become passive, and that's when stadiums stop selling what makes them better.

Mind you, they're not actually mutually exclusive, but any stadium designer or operator that doesn't prioritise atmospherics is making a serious mistake. They need to design in standing areas, low roofs for acoustics and to make sure the crowd isn't distracted from focussing on the game by toys.

Case in point, Cowboys Stadium in Texas. It's flash as ****. Has all the mod cons but the feedback from average, non-rich fans is that the atmosphere is poor, the experience is too expensive and so it's not necessarily worth a repeat visit after you've been once. Now in Australia, none of our clubs have the enormous deep fanbase that the cowboys have so we can't afford fans being indifferent to repeat visits.

We need people to become addicted. And the only thing that causes addiction is atmosphere. Everything else can be got on the telly.

This is the real anti-social behaviour that needs to be eradicated... People who can't even process the concept of unplugging themselves for 80/90 mins to watch a game that they supposedly love.

I reckon you'll find that in the future when all of these whizz bang stadiums that tickle your bum hole and cook you dinner are built, there will start to be a call for and a resurgence of classic, normal stadiums that are built for the sole purpose of actually watching sport.

The ironic thing is that the people who would probably use these tech gimmicks are probably the same people who'd only rock up for a GF or big game. The die hards who show rain, hail or shine that frequent the stadium most often aren't interested in this crap so it would be pretty useless.

I think it says a lot about a society really that you need these sorts of gimmicks to entice people.

Unfortunately, stadiums need now need to be media-focused venues. However, for the money we will have to build we will get the basics of that. Not every patron will be as focused on the football and atmosphere as what we are, and the reality is we also need to cater to the NRL fans as well - they'll need constant access to the betting websites and apps.

I'd be happy with better WiFi for halftime and before game and a nice brewery onsite as well as a Football Hall of Fame (and a dungeon for Goat).

I don't want to hear about tram lines to Homebush from the State Govt.

I want to hear about an upgrade to Pirtek.

In the meantime.........I hope Flytox is ok. He's a good man.

I worry about not hearing from him.

Did something happen to Flytox?  :sorry:

Flytox posted on another thread the day of the Mariner's game (I think it was) that he'd had a stroke, but that he was OK.  

He said he was about to start speech therapy.

He seems to have been on the forums on Dec 4th, but didn't post anything???

Does anyone know him? Hope he is doing OK.

Hopefully they put a net or cage behind the goals, I'd hate to be hit by a stray shot while I'm shopping online for marital aides:

Follow

MLB Recommends All 30 Stadiums Install Additional Safety Netting

Tom Ley

Filed to: mlb12/09/15 1:14pm

MLB Recommends All 30 Stadiums Install Additional Safety Netting

Way too many baseball fans got seriously hurt by line-drive foul balls last season, which reignited the debate over whether stadiums should install more safety netting down the baselines. Some crazy people argued that the increase in safety wasn’t worth “obstructing†baseball’s beauty, but MLB has thankfully refused to listen to those people.

Here’s a statement that the league just released:

Advertisement

There’s likely some CBA language that prevents the commissioner’s office from doing anything more forceful than recommending that nets be installed, but it’s hard to imagine any team refusing to follow through and choosing a very stupid hill to die on.

Photo via Getty

Sponsored

Leave a reply

Tom Ley’s Discussions

All replies

A Pimp Named DaveR

Tom Ley

12/09/15 1:34pm

The CBA wouldn’t have any impact on this — it’s not an employee safety issue w/r/t employees covered by the CBA, which is about the only area where the CBA could potentially limit owner actions.

The limitation on the MLB office here is almost certainly the organizational agreement of Major League Baseball, which limits what the league office can and can’t require of member franchises. For example, MLB can force a team to have a playing field that conforms to certain mutually-agreed-upon league norms (= the Mets could probably not unilaterally decide to move the right field fence back to 844 feet, or eliminate second base), but the league office cannot dictate what classes of seating the team provides in the stadium. That’s wholly within the purview of the team itself.

It’s almost certain that spectator safety issues aren’t something that the league office can impose on the teams, which is why these “suggestions†are being floated out there, as that’s all that MLB can do.

As a side note — while this doesn’t force teams to do anything at all, it does (to an extent) let them know that they’re probably on their own liability-wise if they choose not to do anything.

Reply3 replies

Tim Marchman

A Pimp Named DaveR

12/09/15 1:51pm

Don’t think it would be a player safety issue so much as that a leaguewide change to the playing field would functionally be a rule change. (We have a line out on this.)

These explanations certainly aren’t inconsistent or mutually exclusive, though.

View all 136 replies

4 Ways Miners Can Improve Operational Efficiency As Resou…Read on Navman Wireless GPS Tracking Solutions

How One Man Dropped Out of Uni and Made $45 MillionRead on Shortpress

Tech Tester Smartwatch ReviewRead on eBay

Introducing Intel's Newest Wearable Module: Intel® Curie™Read on Intel

Can’t Miss Investing Tips: How Buffett Made His BillionsRead on The Daily Reckoning Australia

Third World IOURead on Intel

Internet Sensation: Discover Your Most Used Words On Facebook!Read on Quizzstar

7 Hotels You Should Visit This YearRead on CoolMansion.com

Funniest Athlete TweetsRead on galleryreload

Amazing, Hard-to-Believe, Perfectly Timed Pix – Taken at J…Read on Well TImed Photos

7 Most Amazing Cars In Jay Leno's Epic CollectionRead on MancaveRides.co

World-class Wonders Of Newfoundland And LabradorRead on Travel2Next

by Taboola

Sponsored Links

About BlogNeed Help?Content Guide

PermissionsPrivacyTerms of UseAdvertisingJobsRSS