Sydney Stadiums Discussion (Not Parramatta)

Gazmon, ******* superb!

:golecapproves:

How about you send it to the club & they can take it to the meeting with the NSW govt or architects?

Thoughts on aami park in Melbourne. From what I've seen on tv id be happy with that

Don't go there.

Seating design might be ok. So much money wasted elsewhere.

The roof & fancy shell they put on the outside of the stadium preventing upgrades. Hell no!

not looking good for safe standing...Shaun Mielekamp's comments on the safe standing trial from the ccm forum -> https://ccmfans.net/community/threads/ccm-fans-and-the-club.5754/page-10#post-214159

To give some insight I was heavily involved in a trial of rail seating at Pirtek stadium that we had hoped would be a pilot for the countries first full terrace installation of these. Unfortunately the trial proved counter productive with the seats that were durable enough were made for colder climates and being made of metal caused minor scalding through the summer heat. The plastic versions did not pass the test either as they did not lock effectively enough and the railing caused poor seat visibility when everyone sat down. But the real nail in the coffin was that patrons were standing on the rail and at that extreme height caused more risk than just a standard flip seat - it was a real shame but you never say never.

tldr issues with safe standing:

-metal seats literally too hot in australian summer

-plastic seats not strong enough to lock properly and railing interferes with view when sitting

-idiots standing on the rail  :nono:

the first 2 are design issues so could be overcome you would think. also a roof on the new stadium would keep most of the sun off so the metal seats wouldn't get so hot.

Could it really be called a trial though? From what Ive seen over the past few years there was the odd rail seat and a couple of different flip seats installed, no more than 3 in a row from memory and they were scattered throughout the terrace very scarcely. Wouldn't have even totalled a dozen which is an incredibly small sample to take any valid or reliable findings from.

Then it was probably one singular moron who thought he'd be an acrobat and stand on the bloody rail which just gave the opponents of safe standing all the ammo they needed... 

To be honest I think the nail in the coffin for safe standing was simply what it is, a foreign concept. Are there any of these new fancy, high tech "World Class" stadiums that have rail seats in them to make it a real selling feature? That's the only way that I can see it ever happening because all those in power are so obsessed with the term "World Class" when it comes to stadiums here.

Good point Wanderboy. Then, the only way to go is a 50/50 decision on certain things. Other than that, just a neutral choice is fine (i.e. seat colours).

Here's the last update today:

- Added aisles

- Added supports

- 'Bar' tier added above the RBB

- Some concourses done

12375000_10153927023942518_5550528615438

Fantastic effort Gazmon. That looks like a winner

That single tier for the RBB makes it a great centrepiece, can it imagine it being a real focal point for tifos and the like. Out of curiosity if the 'bar tier' was removed and the single tier widened a little would it make even better? (ie. larger wall for the RBB?)

Otherwise I think the 2 tiers in the rest of the stadium is perfect, particularly with the steep rake from having the smaller tier at the bottom and larger at the top. Also the smooth continuous corners at the end opposite the RBB makes it have a large stadium feel. 

Good point Wanderboy. Then, the only way to go is a 50/50 decision on certain things. Other than that, just a neutral choice is fine (i.e. seat colours).

- Added aisles

- Added supports

- Some concourses done

12375000_10153927023942518_5550528615438

Can you get the Baverian Bier Cafe to move in at ground level in a hall attached to the stadium?

Would love some good old Bavarian fun times, bier and food pre-game and then just walk 20m to my spot to sing my heart out

Thanks mate

- Added aisles

- Added supports

- Some concourses done

Can you get the Baverian Bier Cafe to move in at ground level in a hall attached to the stadium?

Would love some good old Bavarian fun times, bier and food pre-game and then just walk 20m to my spot to sing my heart out

Thanks mate

Too much effort

travelator-airport-11018809.jpg

Gazmon, i love the look of your new design. Bloody brilliant. WOW!

Can you do the facade too, cover the concrete poles? Just keen to know what it may actually look once its all completed. 

Brilliant work and agree with the northwest corner. Looks great. 

Edited by Macak

Speaking of bars, I am pretty surprised that with all the security and political correctness regarding "family friendly' venues that the subject of not serving alcohol at stadiums, more specifically at football games, hasn't been really bought up in depth. Considering that's what a lot of places overseas do I'm surprised that the media and lobbyists haven't jumped all over that and tried to link it to this supposed "violence" that they all go on about. I don't know whether it says something about our drinking culture in this country or it's just slipped by without anyone noticing the whole thing...

Gazmon that thing is ******* great. I agree you should send it to the club and tell them that the fans love it! Agree re: northwest corner too, it's brilliant. I could see it being a sought after spot too - right next to RBB.

Re: booze - if the anti-football mafia started blaming alcohol for the violence then they'd be taking away the blame from the football culture. Everyone would compare it to other alcohol violence instead of comparing sokkah hooligans to terrorists.

Thanks everyone. Your comments give me warm & fuzzies.  :wub:

I'm working on some minor things today (railings, some concourse stuff) before I do the roof and facade. But, I need some pictures for inspiration.

Now, remember I need good facade & roof combinations... not one of each that will never work together. Thanks :)

Without pictures to assist, I'd suggest that the roof needs to highlight the different spots in the ground, rather than take away from them. For me, this stadium has the perfect amount of quirky - pretty consistent but with a few different area such as the north west stand.

But if the roof makes it harder to highlight the differences in stands - eg if that north-west stand gets engulfed and you can't see how it stands out - that would reduce its charm!

Without pictures to assist, I'd suggest that the roof needs to highlight the different spots in the ground, rather than take away from them. For me, this stadium has the perfect amount of quirky - pretty consistent but with a few different area such as the north west stand.

But if the roof makes it harder to highlight the differences in stands - eg if that north-west stand gets engulfed and you can't see how it stands out - that would reduce its charm!

I'll be honest, I'm a bit confused... so different types of roofing for each area?

Also, I've nicknamed the north-west corner Kanye's Korner... ;)

Haha it was more just a high level idea. I don't know the specifics of what you can/can't do.

I guess I was just thinking that all sections should have their own roof so the uniqueness stays but not sure how that may affect sight lines etc as different areas look like they are at different heights and I've seen that end up in roofs blocking views from corners of other stands! Also wasn't sure how you could keep the unique feel of each stand if you have a full wrap-around roof, or if that's even possible with the current design?!?

So, without knowing what is possible I just threw out a thought - try and keep the uniqueness of the individual stands!!

I obviously have no idea so I'll leave you alone to get on with it haha

Haha it was more just a high level idea. I don't know the specifics of what you can/can't do.

I guess I was just thinking that all sections should have their own roof so the uniqueness stays but not sure how that may affect sight lines etc as different areas look like they are at different heights and I've seen that end up in roofs blocking views from corners of other stands! Also wasn't sure how you could keep the unique feel of each stand if you have a full wrap-around roof, or if that's even possible with the current design?!?

So, without knowing what is possible I just threw out a thought - try and keep the uniqueness of the individual stands!!

I obviously have no idea so I'll leave you alone to get on with it haha

Yeah, it could work. Maybe at least for the RBB... but then with different height roofs I need to consider sightlines from the back of the other stands and if they'll be interfered, then there's the extra cost.

Arena Lviv could work:

Lviv_2070190i.jpg

lviv3.jpg

is the section above the terrace(home end) for wheelchairs or meant to be something or just part of the frame work?

There are 2 concourses there. One is at the top of the stairs (is used for wheelchair access for the RBB, there will be a lift installed). The other is above it - that's the bar.

Will the glass cut outs in the stadium facade cause shadowing issues and/or direct sun issues (during sunset) to either players or spectators?

Was thinking that myself after I ran the render (these are quick renders too, not 100%). I've removed the glass bits, except in small slithers to let some natural light in.

Also if we were to upgrade, how easy/difficult would it be?

I know you've maxed out the stadium size to fit the plot & there would be lots of red tape to expand the size, but if the state government allowed the stadium to be expanded into parramatta park, would it be possible?

Yeah I'm on the MAXIMUM of the plot size... maybe even a touch over... But the roof could be dismantled in bits and then expand the tiers in theory.